ELECTROTHON 2009

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
stuart mills

ELECTROTHON 2009

Postby stuart mills » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Is there going to be one? I think that last year it was organised by John Lilly. Is he doing another this year?
Still awaiting my silver plastic cup for 2008!!!!
Hope the other winners got there prizes.
I havn't got anything to compete with this year anyway but I could make something if there is to be a 2009 electrothon.

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm

We'd like there to be one, and pencilled in 5th September as a possible date.... but we are having difficulty finding a good track.

Anyone know of a track that would let us have access for a couple of hours, perhaps over the quiet lunchtime period, for free or almost free?

I contacted one in the Guildford area with no luck. Trying to aim for somewhere fairly central in the country really though.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

ex925

Electrathon 2009?

Postby ex925 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:08 pm

Following an email discussion with Mary, and to see if there might be an affordable central venue, I emailed the admin people at Bedford circuit for information, as follows -

Hello, just an initial feasibility and cost enquiry, from a small amateur organisation.
What would it cost to hire one of your smaller circuits for a day? Do you hire by the hour?
I am an ordinary member of the Battery Vehicle Society, and I am asking just in order to see if an idea of mine would be possible The idea would be to hold a small "Electrathon", possibly in September 2009
Members would be able to test their machines performance, comparatively, and in terms of energy used.
Many are homebuilt, most are battery-only, and all would be subject to expert scrutineering, with safety paramount.
Types range from Electric Assist Pedal Cycles and light electric motorcyles to small converted cars and the occasional production hybrid saloon (Speeds are likely to be "modest"..........)

Here is their response -

Ed,
Thank you for your enquiry. The track hire fee at Bedford Autodrome ranges from £5000 to £19000 per day depending on the month and the day of the week. I would imagine that even the lower of those two figures would be unviable for your purposes. However, we do hire out the venue to Greenpower for a Sunday in September each year. Would it be possible for your proposed event to take place on the same day? To my knowledge, they do not use all of the available circuits.
Maybe it would be a good idea for you to approach them.
Regards,
Ian Berry, Group Track Hire Manager, MotorSport Vision

So, given there are 4 separate circuits within Bedford AutoDrome, it should be feasible to use one not in use by GreenPower on the day.
This might give the BVS the central venue at low cost we need AND a sister event at the same site to increase the incentive for BVS members.
Remember Goodwood, October, 2008? It was brilliant.
I may be mistaken, but in these financiallly dark days, I would be astonished if any track management would allow a "Freebie"...
However, I would be delighted to be proved wrong, so if anyone knows different, please tell..........

Most of all I do not want to "re-invent the wheel", and would really appreciate experience and guidance from those who have so successfully done it in the past.
Looking forward to hearing from you, especially John, Terry, Brian, and anyone else who has organised these things before - what do you think of the above?
All the best, from
"Hobbling Ed..........."

stuart mills

Postby stuart mills » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:19 pm

Perhaps a go kart track would be suitable. Haynes is only a big kart track really. An old airfield perhaps. We dont need Donington or similar do we?

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi

I have used/booked Curborough Sprint circuit in the past. I think its £350 for the day. Weekend bookings might be a bit difficult, weekdays in September should be OK.

The track is nice, with a large pit area. It can be used in a few different layouts. There is a hill at the start, but you can run without it if necessary. I think its limited to 12 cars for teh day, but EV's might be different.

Here is a link to their site, its in Lichfield, just North of Birmingham.
http://www.curborough.co.uk/curbaerial01.htm

Just had a nose at ther site - seems 'they' want to build 5000 new homes on the track :( :(

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:56 pm

There's a great track near me not far from the Haynes Motor Museum but bigger which I would be happy to arrange something at if there's good interest in the BVS. Question is how many people would like to do something ? I would and it sounds like Stuart would too so that's the South with one and the Midlands with two.

ex925

Electrathon 2009, progress.... from Ed.

Postby ex925 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:52 pm

These days, I would be astonished if any track owner would allow a "Freebie"

However, there could be a more important issue to be resolved first, the regrettable possibility of predatory litigation, should something unfortunate occur.
The individuals driving the event forward would need to know if the Constitution of the BVS includes any legally robust disclaimer or other similar clause or statement, designed to protect the Society or its members from predatory legal action.

If so, has this been critically reviewed by a currently competent legal expert ?
Does the BVS have liability insurance for BVS organised or promoted events ?
And, if not, should we consider acquiring such cover ? (Paul Compton could put us in contact with a senior person in the business, who has "a positive approach")

Mary recently asked -
I wonder if you would like to approach Green Power to take this further? If we can use one of the unused circuits, ideally without charge if they are amenable, that would be fantastic! What date in September would it be?

I replied
(I have since edited the text below, trying to make it “flow" better)

“I intend to wait until the Committee has had a chance consider, then push for a rapid resolution to the "potential liability exposure" issue, (including legal advice).
Once that is completed, I will seek a decision, by a majority, as to where we wish to set the venue. Then, maybe, we can organise an event.................
My best guess would be to email the "Contact Us" on the GreenPower site.
Am I authorised to represent the BVS in that case?
Meantime, any suggestions and/or advice would be very gratefully received"

I look forward to reading the postings to follow.
All the best, from Ed.

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Isn't litigation great!

All it achieves is to stop anyone doing anything. Seen it happen time and time again particularly in schools where now no one is able to go on simple outings because some greedy parent decides to sue for little jimmy's torn trousers and the schools can't afford the premiums.

Sorry I was prepared to do something towards looking for a venue there's a couple I could have probably got and yes one would have been free but sorry not now interested in putting myself out.

ex925

Electrathon and Litigation risk

Postby ex925 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:20 am

Don't be discouraged, what I believe we as a society will do is simply fireproof ourselves against the risk... And then get on with enjoying life.

So, please, please join in with your proven experience and contacts, we need you.
Putting this precaution in place is unlikely to delay things more than slightly, and then we can all look forward to loads of positive activities
Things are looking up already, this morning, more soonest....
All the best,
from Ed.

ex925

Presently best location prospect, Electrathon 2009?

Postby ex925 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:58 am

Under the proviso that this is still hypothetical at present.....
It looks as if the idea of asking Greenpower if we may run an Electrathon on an unused circuit (there are four circuits at the venue), in conjunction with their event at Bedford Raceway on September 20th 2009 may be the most likely to cover all the essentials, and thus possibly the only viable opportunity, for a BVS Electrathon 2009.

Please bear in mind that I am only gently speculating so far - BECAUSE.....

a] I am trying to see if as many BVS members as possible would agree
b] I have not contacted Greenpower yet
c] It appears to be the most economical option
d] It looks to me to be the most geographically central location
e] It would likely best answer some administrative essentials (quite critically important...)
f] I have been nominated as Competitions/Events contact to be, BUT
g] I don't think I am "official" yet, just a member in this effort
h] AND, ALL PROVIDED the Greenpower folks agree, of course

So, Would other members support this if it is our best chance ?
All the best, from Ed. in Plymouth

Return to “Events”