A step in the right direction

General BVS related area
marktime

A step in the right direction

Postby marktime » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:58 am

I have just received Rob's e-mail about use of e-mail for BVS communication and survey of preferences.

I have to say that I think this is a welcome step forward and demostrates truly 'joined up thinking'

Thanks Rob, good work.

MT
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:11 pm

I concur. Survey completed welcome to the 21st century. :D
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

MB

Postby MB » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:37 pm

I was a bit disgruntled that 'carrier pidgeon' wasn't one of the suggested delivery methods. A carrier pidgeon with a copy of The Review strapped to it's legs would be a suitably idiosyncratic way of delivering it, and would provide lunch at the same time.

In all seriousness though, I think this is definately a step in the right direction.

That said, I'm not sure how many people would like to receive The Review as an electronic document. I actually quite like sitting down on the sofa to read a book rather than look at it on a computer screen.

Part of that is down to formats: most computer monitors are landscape whilst most newsletters are portrait. A PDF file containing a magazine that was laid out in portrait format is not particularly easy to read on a computer screen.

If The Review was laid out to be presented nicely on screen, that could be a different matter. Especially if it then included all the internet links so they could just be clicked on.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Re: A step in the right direction

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:41 pm

marktime wrote:I have just received Rob's e-mail about use of e-mail for BVS communication and survey of preferences.

I have to say that I think this is a welcome step forward and demostrates truly 'joined up thinking'

Thanks Rob, good work.
MT

Yes, this was one of the things that the committee agreed on Saturday, and were unanimously in favour of :-)

Onwards and upwards!

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

FlossyThePig

Re: A step in the right direction

Postby FlossyThePig » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:28 pm

marktime wrote:I have just received Rob's e-mail about use of e-mail for BVS communication and survey of preferences.

I've just completed the survey and I have a suggestion regarding electronic copies of publications.

Rather than email them to members, put them in a members only area on either the main website or forum so they can be downloaded when each member finds it more convenient.

That way emails can be kept in simple text format and of small size.

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Flossy. That's one of the things the committee are currently discussing.

We are aiming towards members-only sections of the website and of the forum, to give added value to our members. One of the things we need to look at is if, and how, to distribute electronic versions of the magazine, and various other technical publications. An electronic verion would have quite a large file size of course.

My feeling, and it's just my personal thoughts, would be to try to make everything the society produces available electronically in a members-only area. However, I wouldn't want to stop producing the hard-copies of whatever magazines we produce, because that would be doing a disservice to older members who have loyally supported us for possibly 30 years, and aren't able to use the internet, not to mention those younger members who prefer a magazine they can pick up and hold.

But yes, I agree with you about electronic versions, and if the committee are able to see a way to make those available in th next few months then I would certainly support that.

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

Return to “General”