Electric cars are dirty????

General BVS related area
Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Companies like green energy, who are energy brokers, dont really contribute to increasing the development of large scale green energy. We now buy ours from Eco tricity, who will sell you 100% green power and just buy extra in. Their normal mix of power from their own sources is constantly being increased, as they invest more and more on new Wind generation. Personally I feel Im contributing more to the longer sustainability of renevalble energy by buying from Ecotricity.
My employer uses a 100 % green supplier, and so I have convinced them by my charging my Berlingo at work I am effectively reducing the impact of my travel to work, by a substantial amount. It makes some people feel good. So thats great.
Keep encouraging new renewable resources through your choice of supplier.
Grumpy-b

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:32 pm

We are with Good Energy also :D
We import and export through them and we have always found them extremely helpful no matter what the problem is. :D
Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Im not knocking companies like green energy, please dont get me wrong. Any company that can get people to consider the issues of sustainable and renewable supply has to be good. I just prefer to trade with a company that is investing in mainstream power production that over time should really make a difference.

I also believe that if we are to wean ourselves as a society from carbon based fueld, we have little choice but to use nuclear.

Over the next ten years, the UK mix and Carbon emmisions will actually get worse as , existing Nuclear stations go off line and the gap is planned to be filled with gas and coal stations. It will become more difficult for pure broker energy suppliers to deliver 100% green power, as the mix from Nuclear declines.

So support any company that actively promotes and deliveres new renewable power sources, both Domestic level and mainstream.

The shift back to carbon based fuels over the next ten years will of course make it more difficult to promote electric as being so green / co2 reducing.
Grumpy-b

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Just to clarify, Good Energy aren't just a broker. Whilst lots of their green electricity does indeed come from microgeneration shemes (and then they sell that electricity on to people like me), they do have their own wind-farm, and I believe they plan to invest in other mainstream generation projects.

It may well be that lots of microgeneration schemes are the way to go long-term of course.

Also, I think that we can supply the world without nuclear power - at least, I'd like us to try :wink:
That's another reason I am compelled to buy from Good Energy rather than from elsewhere.

As well as the small amounts of high level radioactive waste that are starting to clutter the planet, there is actually a lot of low level nuclear waste produced by nuclear power stations, which we also have to deal with. And of course, there is always the risk, albeit a small one, of some kind of disaster with rather horrific consequences.

So, I'm 'Good Energy' all the way :D

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:36 pm

MB wrote:From the charging point of view, of course, you can always measure the average CO2 the grid is kicking out at any one time and then charge the car when the CO2 levels are low. Here's a real time link: http://www.realtimecarbon.org/

Great link MB, I was lucky enough to be at the Grids control center for a couple of years when they where just starting to implement neta at the very begining, nice to see that its actually working now, considering all the changes they had to make.

Funny as I had totally forgotton about it until you posted that link and I wondered how they where getting the data which of course lead me to http://www.bmreports.com/ which is a very interesting site ...... if a little geeky :oops:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:24 am

How about some actual numbers then from a real vehicle. My Volvo's lifetime wall to wheel average was 475Wh per mile or 295Wh/km. The site http://www.realtimecarbon.org/ shows average CO2 emissions of 413grams per kWh. So using these figures the Volvo's CO2 emissions would have been 122 g/km. A quick look on the internet shows a
    VOLVO S40 1.8
    is £175.00
    VED Band: H
    Engine Capacity: 1798
    Transmission: M5
    Fuel Type: Petrol
    CO2: 174 g/km
    Euro Standard: 4

This is the closest match for my car, so it would appear that my electric car conversion did reduce emmisions and was cleaner as well. The Fiat would have been in the range of around 70g/km CO2 emmisions. :D
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

PeterKesel

Postby PeterKesel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:47 am

Nice thread.thanks for posting.I use Good Energy which claim 100% renewable generation.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:54 pm

PeterKesel wrote:Nice thread.thanks for posting.I use Good Energy which claim 100% renewable generation.

I wonder if you could get them to prove that :?

ChrisB

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:23 pm

ChrisB wrote:
PeterKesel wrote:Nice thread.thanks for posting.I use Good Energy which claim 100% renewable generation.

ChrisB

I dunno.... always the skeptic Chris :P

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:30 pm

SaintMaryUK wrote:
ChrisB wrote:

ChrisB

I dunno.... always the skeptic Chris :P

Mary.

Yep :wink: cos at the end of the day they are out to make money, they are a business like any other business :wink:

ChrisB

Return to “General”