Insurance

General BVS related area
booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:26 pm

I've just insured my mini-el with Peter Best, £120 fully comp - but limited mileage of 2k per year.

Once its properly road legal I might review the limited mileage... :wink:
London to Brighton on a Sinclair C5 - 6/5/07 - what a trip !
Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 petrol for everyday abuse - thank God for LPG
Sinclair C5's (Plus "c5alive.co.uk" ) as a hobby

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:01 am

I've been insured with Admiral with my Honda Insight for a few years, I wrote to them detailing my PHEV mods and battery upgrade, result after a couple of phone calls was an increase of £14 on premium. They had little idea/understanding of what was going on to be fair but added it on no problem. 8)

Not bad. Insight is a high group anyway. Group 12 on old scale, 23 on new scale.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:18 am

retepsnikrep wrote: Insight is a high group anyway. Group 12 on old scale, 23 on new scale.

JEEEPERS !!!!!

Well there's a good reason not to have an Insight if ever there was one Even my Lotus was lower than that That's absurd

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:27 am

Number of reason for that Imagine.

Aluminium body = more expensive difficult to fix.
Only oem parts available.
Only 250 in UK, reasonable performance.
Hybrid so they probably think = expensive repairs.

Limited crash data and repair cost database available. So erring on side of caution :roll:

To be fair with my full ncb it's only about £200 a year fully comp & unlimited miles with business cover. Plus I'm an old git now :shock:
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:40 am

retepsnikrep wrote:Limited crash data and repair cost database available. So erring on side of caution :roll:

So that means we have an excuse to rip folk off

To be fair with my full ncb it's only about £200 a year fully comp & unlimited miles with business cover. Plus I'm an old git now :shock:

Well that's not too bad then My Aluminum chassied only 250 in the entire world open top no locks (other than the glove box) Hopefully soon to be electric £170 for not quite an old git ;)

Try a company that understands cars and doesn't just live on databases ;) ;)

Actually £200 these days doesn't seem too bad I suppose Mind you given that when I was 17 and built my first 2 liter open top aluminum and GRP bodied sports car that was £350

Does old age get cheaper or do we just get used to it?

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:34 am

Tried that

Me. Hello is that "Make a fast buck Insurance company"

Them. Yes how can we help you?

Me. Can you quote me for my "Insert self converted EV thing here"

Them. Click, Brrrrrrr.

Me. Hello Hello are you there? :roll:

OK it's not quite that bad, but I can't be bothered jumping through all the hoops changing insurance for the sake of £20 or even £50.
Regards Peter

MB

Postby MB » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:29 pm

There are some very good insurance companies around. At the G-Wiz Owner's Club we've done a deal with Adrian Flux Insurance Services.

Not only do they insure all sorts of odd-ball vehicles, but you get a 15% discount if you're a G-Wiz Owner's Club member - whether or not it is a G-Wiz you are insuring.

Here's the details: http://www.g-wiz.org.uk/reva-gwiz-insurance.html

There's a link from there to get a quote.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 pm

LOL yeah. Peter I've had that too from the main stream Insurance Co's but there are people like Adrian Flux and Footman James for a start who insure more unusual vehicles. There are others. Have a look in one of the Kit Car mags some time there's lots of handy info in those.

The main thing is speaking to someone who understands cars or with an organisation that does and not trying to deal with someone in a call center who just reads off the computer screen " Computer says nooo"

Return to “General”