Mega City problem can you give any advice?

General BVS related area
Brentus

Mega City problem can you give any advice?

Postby Brentus » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:44 pm

HI
I bought my 2007 Mega city car all electric 2 weeks (saturday from a ebay car dealer) I have been having a ball it is really fast 45mph top speed and it will do 35 miles to a charge if you take it easy, it charges well and there were no issues, that is until today bobbing along at 40mph on a quick errand and then a large metallic bang followed by no drive, we rolled to a halt on the side of the road.
I switched off the car by the master switch under the bonet, there was a electricity burning smell but no smoke, I then checked the big hefty fuse by the on off master switch and there was no problem there or any other fuses.

Two hours later it still smells a bit electric burn smell. all is lighting up on the dash d and r are selectable but not functioning when you press down the pedal.
Does any one have any suggestions of how I might fix this or what I should investigate first?
Any help or advice gladly accepted.
Best regards Brent (Nr Thame Oxon. :D

Grumpy-b

Re: Mega City problem can you give any advice?

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:03 am

You need to work out what the damage is.
1. IIs it the controller (Unlikely)
2. Motor (is it AC ir DC?) if DC has the commutator disintegrated or brushes broken up.
3. WHat sort of batteries do you have, if lead acid have they been watered,
4. Check above by checking the voltages of each battery. Post the results here.

Its most likely that you have had a battery fault.

Regards
Grumpy-b

Brentus

Postby Brentus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:52 am

Thank you for your response,
the batteries are lead acid and have a sticker on them saying replace in 2017, they look new and are lead acid type. everything is working on the vehicle electrically showing charge windows central locking etc.
I am not sure if it is ac or dc, I will find out it is a 2007 model
I dropped off at the garage that does my petrol car and the mechanic there said he knows all about hybrids etc so he is going to take a look the noise to me sounded motor mechanical like something had broken free or come loose.
I come back with more info shortly
thank you so much for your help, do you know where I can by spares for the motor etc?
Brent

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:02 am

Do checks as suggested.12v is different from the traction pack. A lable suggesting they be replaced in 2017 is rather pointless, its not age but use or abuse that decides replacement.
Each battery needs voltage check separately.
If AC then they have no brushes, if DC then brushes are an issue and if not recently checked and OK they may have failed and damaged the commutator.

Grumpy-b

Brentus

Postby Brentus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:50 pm

Thank you Grumpy B I will post more as I find out more

Brentus

Postby Brentus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:49 am

Hello all
My Mega city needs a new Motor the old one had not got any oil in it and had had a massive break up! :( anyone know how much and where I can get one?
best Brent

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:40 am

Can you post the part number of the motor from the dataplate? And maybe a photo? It sounds strange that the motor should have had oil in it. I would not have guessed that of Aixam.
Tim Crumpton

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:21 pm

Sound like the gearbox is shot not the motor.

Grumpy-b

Return to “General”