A strange Ally

General BVS related area
marktime

A strange Ally

Postby marktime » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:30 pm

The Blog on petrol prices.com has declared that 2008 is the year of the electric car! Good for them.

To join in go to :-
http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/-the-y ... ar-90.html

MarkTime
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

marktime

Postby marktime » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:13 pm

I posted a comment on their blog and quoted the BVS site for a bit of cross fertilization but I guess their moderator must have choked on the link!!

To qualify my thread title most of their debate is about how unfair it is that there is a tax on fuel and the effect this has on the price of fuel.
I have not found them receptive to new ideas, but maybe I miss represent them.

I see Kelvin has found his way there.

MT
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

qdos

Postby qdos » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi Mark yes I found the page too. Unfortunately Joe Public thinks they will always be in need of a car that can do 600 miles non stop so there's not a lot of point trying to argue against them. You just have to quietly encourage the receptive members of the public round to realising most of the time they don't do much more than 40 miles and electric actually works. :roll:

marktime

Postby marktime » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:39 am

They really are having the most extrordinary debate over there. 60%+ are voting to say thay would consider using an EV but 90% of the posters are against them!!

What is their obsession with tax, anyone would think a country could be run on 50p a week and the rest goes into MP's pockets! (Oh! they are about to vote themselves a pay rise).

MT

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:55 am

I don't know mate.

I find it rather strange when people moan about taxes on petrol. Yes, taxes on it are high - but what of the profits from the oil companies? They're the ones raising the price!

I also feel it's sad that some people feel the free EV and reduced tax for Hybrids are a threat..... *sigh*
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:49 am

aminorjourney wrote:I don't know mate.

I find it rather strange when people moan about taxes on petrol. Yes, taxes on it are high - but what of the profits from the oil companies? They're the ones raising the price!

I also feel it's sad that some people feel the free EV and reduced tax for Hybrids are a threat..... *sigh*

The whole world economy is driven by oil. If we no longer needed oil the entire political world would be turned upside down over night.

All the time that anyone is taking a percentage of any payment then that body is going to continue to want to see sales of the product continue. It's all about increasing your income and if the demand for the product keeps going up and the price keeps going up you are laughing all the way to the bank.

For the consumer it's all about convenience. Electric Vehicles don't have the convenient factor that they can be refuled in less than 5 minutes ready to go 300 miles or so. The fact that most people seldom do more than 40 miles a day is conveniently forgotten about. Look at the advertising, the dream we are sold is the ability to travell long journeys in comfort and peace on uncrowded roads with a friendly robot guiding us on our way at high speed.

The truth that the roads are clogged up and choking with crowds of people all sat individually packaged in a huge vehicle capable of carrying on average at least 5 people doesn't matter. The dream we buy into is quite different and we aspire to a more and more upmarket machine. If we sit in a jam in a luxury Range Rover we feel good that we are above the rest. Or at least that's what we are lead to believe.

Ask yourself do you really believe Mr/Mrs Jones is going to feel glamourous and comfortable sat in a jam on a Dual Carriage way in town after dropping his/her small child off in a City El ? errr sad truth of the matter is they will be more likely be gettign ribbed by their work colleagues about driving a milk float that looks like a sardine can.

Things will change one day but currently EVs are not glamorous or convenient. And that's what sells cars

Return to “General”