UK legal requirements

General BVS related area
stuart mills

Postby stuart mills » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:46 pm

As the guys say, conversion is an option, have a look at www.electricmotorsport.com and you will see a range of motors and controllers which may suit a small EV. If you do go down the home build route of a quad type MSVA (motor cycle single vehicle approval) applies which is easier to get through. Google SVA or VIC and you will get all the answers. They are going to change SVA to the IVA next year

Leroy Boyce

Postby Leroy Boyce » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks for all the advice, and no offense taken.

I acknowledge I don't know quite as much as the experts on this subject, which is why I'm asking these questions!

I'm reluctant to modify an existing car, as I won't be able to incorporate the ideas I have. I'm also not in a great hurry to start this project, so speed of completion isn't an issue.

What I was really after was some advice, and possibly links to where I can find "minimum requirements" of UK-road-legal, home-made cars, to enable me to do substantial research before I embarked on any project.

ChrisBarron

Postby ChrisBarron » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:30 pm

Leroy Boyce wrote:Thanks for all the advice, and no offense taken.

What I was really after was some advice, and possibly links to where I can find "minimum requirements" of UK-road-legal, home-made cars, to enable me to do substantial research before I embarked on any project.

From the DfT website, I have found this information about SVA testing which is appropriate to your situation. The link takes you to the 'Enhanced' SVA information page, because a new build will need the enhanced test before you can drive it. It is complex and could be costly so you might need to consider some of the aspects of your design very carefully.

The definitive appropriate document appears to be the 'SVA Manual', available via one of the links on the following page

[/img]http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/importsapproval/thesinglevehicleapprovalscheme?page=4#a1009

Chris

stuart mills

Postby stuart mills » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:43 pm

ESVA does not apply to amateur build or vehicles manufactured in very low volume. SVA applies but will be replaced by IVA.

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:17 pm

Not sure where you are located Leroy but you can always phone me if you need some help or maybe come along to a meeting. you just missed an ideal one which Stuart kindly hosted and you would have had the ideal opportunity to have asked all you need to there and I'm sure Stuart would have been happy to show you all the issues with any number of the great cars he's built and designs.

So where are you located? My number is in the magazine assuming you are a member. If not then join and you'll be able to pick our brains a bit more :wink:

ChrisBarron

Postby ChrisBarron » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:17 am

stuart mills wrote:ESVA does not apply to amateur build or vehicles manufactured in very low volume. SVA applies but will be replaced by IVA.

Interesting, is it all to do with the country of origin , or perhaps the country of intended use ? From the information page...

"Generally, ESVA will apply to cars and light goods vehicles, for which no certificates are available to demonstrate conformity with a valid EC or national type approval, usually those that are not manufactured for the European market."

I note it states cars specifically, but the builder was thinking of a quadricycle, which isn't classed as a car.

Can you say when an SVA requirement becomes an ESVA requirement , what the differentiating factors are ?

stuart mills

Postby stuart mills » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:04 am

MSVA applies to 2, 3 and 4 wheeled vehicle upto 400kgs unladen.
ESVA applies to all vehicles EXCEPT, left hand drive, personal import, ambulance, hearse, armoured, amateur built and very low volume (200 per year). SVA will apply to those not applicable to the enhanced single vehicle approval. Once passed a MAC will be issued (ministers approval cert) to present to DVLA for a VIC (vehicle identity check) prior to registration.

ChrisBarron

Postby ChrisBarron » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:28 pm

stuart mills wrote:MSVA applies to 2, 3 and 4 wheeled vehicle upto 400kgs unladen.
ESVA applies to all vehicles EXCEPT, left hand drive, personal import, ambulance, hearse, armoured, amateur built and very low volume (200 per year). SVA will apply to those not applicable to the enhanced single vehicle approval. Once passed a MAC will be issued (ministers approval cert) to present to DVLA for a VIC (vehicle identity check) prior to registration.

That's a great answer. Thanks

Leroy Boyce

Postby Leroy Boyce » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:30 pm

I live in Oxford.

I must admit, I'm purely throwing ideas up in the air at the moment - trying to collect as much information as I can before I even think about building anything.

I'm on a mini forum too, picking their brains.

If I were to keep the car below 400kg, I do know there are far fewer legal restrictions.

Those links were top, so I'm going to spend some time having a good nose through them.

Thanks again for all your help.

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm glad to hear you're getting answers to help you. There were some great Mini Kit's one of the nicest was the Pimlico which was very stylish in my opinion there was also a one called the Phoeninx I think which was more like the Clubman estate and a bit boring to my eyes I've no idea if they are still around but if you have a hunt for them they were Kit cars back in the 80s

Return to “General”