41.3p per kwh sell back

Do you make your own power ? be it Solar or Wind. Then this is a place for all home energy chat.
ChrisB

41.3p per kwh sell back

Postby ChrisB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:54 pm

For those who arnt aware of this little gem

On 1st February 2010 The Government confirmed the feed in tariffs which will come into force on 1st April 2010. For someone fitting a typical 2.5kW photovoltaic solar system to an existing home (at a cost of around £12,500), a payment of 41.3p per KWh generated will be paid whether that electricity is exported or used by the home owner. A further payment of 3p per kWh will be made for each unit not used and therefore exported to the grid. New-build properties fitted with solar panels will receive a lower tariff of 36.1p per kWh generated.

These tariff payments are guaranteed for 25 years and they are also index linked - i.e. they will rise in line with inflation. The typical 2.5kW system will generate tax-free payments of around £1000 per year, and so the payback on the investment will be around 12 years. This also works out as a tax-free return on investement of 8% - far better than any bank account offers, and particularly attractive to those paying tax at the higher rate. Since the electricity generated can be used by the homeowners, they are also rewarded with a £150 reduction in their electricity bill with a 2.5kW system.

Taken from HERE
http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/n ... 0_010.aspx
ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

retepsnikrep

Re: 41.3p per kwh sell back

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:08 am

That's very good.

If my roof faced south I would be on it like a shot.

For anyone with an EV and house that meets the specs sounds like a no brainer.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Interesting!

I have 10 sq m of south facing roof and 20 sq m of west facing roof.

All I need is the capital to invest in the panels.

PHEV

Postby PHEV » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 am

Wonder how they will stop people abusing the system? You'd make a tidy profit charging your 20kw/h pack up at work, then feeding the power through your home system..

Steve
*Mazda MX-5, 300KW peak, 300v 20KW/h lipo pack, Soliton 1000A controller. 1100KG.
*Ducati SS twin Agni 80HP peak.
*Aprilia RS motorcycle, 500A controller, Cedric's AgniMotor, 96v 6kw/h LiPo pack, 130kg, 90mph.
www.jozztek.com

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:11 am

PHEV wrote:Wonder how they will stop people abusing the system? You'd make a tidy profit charging your 20kw/h pack up at work, then feeding the power through your home system..

Steve

That would cycle you pack pretty hard, need a fancy hook up and net you about £8.00 a go is it really worth it ? Nah
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:37 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:
PHEV wrote:Wonder how they will stop people abusing the system? You'd make a tidy profit charging your 20kw/h pack up at work, then feeding the power through your home system..

Steve

That would cycle you pack pretty hard, need a fancy hook up and net you about £8.00 a go is it really worth it ? Nah

I dunno, could be worth around £1600 a year 8) :lol:

But to be honest I'd want to use the power to charge my van 8) they would acutally pay me to charge my van up :mrgreen:

I'm going to have a good look into this as this is the first propper value for money deal I've seen............the question is can you actually get it :?

ChrisB

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:38 pm

I asked the same question of the guy who wanted to sell me some. He said, oh its all sealed to stop you hacking into it !.

Well its going to be really tricky for them to seal all the input connections to the invertor. I reckon you could just tap into one of the DC inputs and apply your own DC input, from your batteries, windmill or even mains powered DC power supply.

Failing that 5kW of sodium lighting might do the trick !

J

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:23 am

Flying John wrote:Failing that 5kW of sodium lighting might do the trick !

i don't think sodium works, does it?

Anyway for that to give a return it would need a solar cell of at least 50% effciency and it would look rather strange on the house. I realise it was a tongue in cheek idea.

Feeding some DC from another source into the inverter looks interesting.

Store the electricity from solar cells in a super cap or cheap battery bank then pass it into inverter and also use inverter mains output to feed supercap/battery bank so you get a sort of loop. You are using the electrciity you produced and getting 43p everytime it goes round the loop. Some losses but with effcient electronics you might be able to double your money.

Just hypothetical of course. :shock:
Regards Peter

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Personally I'm thinking rather than double your money THREE times would be better :wink:
So we hook a regular DC powersuppy up to the regular mains and feed it in to the solar panel DC wiring, simples :wink:
OK so you'd be paying around 10p-13p per regular kwh unit the PSU would use but then you'd be making around 30p per kwh on the other side :lol: .......now that is a return ..........hypothetical of course :mrgreen:

ChrisB

Deker

Postby Deker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:49 am

Oh Chris :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deker

Return to “Home Energy Area”