Extend the life of your PB or NiCAD Batteries

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Duo Regen Technologies UK

Postby Duo Regen Technologies UK » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:40 pm

You have hit the nail on the head ChrisB.

The trouble up until now is that there is no way of removing all of the sulphate from the plates. Sure, charging removes part of it but our system removes it totally (optimum level is reached after 21 discharges/recharges). It also "replates" some lead back onto the plates and dissolves part of the "sludge" present in older batteries.

Once desulphated, charging times drop dramatically, often less than half, saving on electricity costs and running times increase greatly.

This system is not a gimmic or cheap gadget. It has been developed by one of the worlds top bio-chemists who initially offered it to a battery company but they declined - Might turn out to be the worst decision they ever made!!

Nigel P.A. Smith

Postby Nigel P.A. Smith » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi to one and all,
I have just bought the EV Rover on Ebay that looks O.K. but at present goes like a milk float with 3 or 4 batteries getting hot when charging and a short charge time so only does a few miles, they are traction batteries, don't know how old they are and I thought they would have to be replaced when I get it.(anyone got some usable batteries) Is it worth trying this gizmo's treatment, or is it to late or expensive a treatment? Maybe charger is to powerful at 120 volts on a 72 volt system? and 67 volt motor, maybe it is a milk float. Any thoughts welcome,
Thanks, Nigel

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm

Interesting stuff , doesnt of course help the cracked plate cells :(

I hope you dont mind but I have to be a tadge skeptical about this technology, theres so many of these so called pulse chargers/chemical cleaners etc and to be honest I've yet to see one do anything more than what you can achieve with a long slow charge.

Replating the plates from the sludge seems a bit keen.

If it does do what it says on the tin then as you say its worth its weight in gold, but one has to wonder why the battery company declined it :?

I've got 2 x 12v 50ah A200 Dryfits that are shot (well in my book they are) and your welcome to try your magic stuff on them.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Duo Regen Technologies UK

Postby Duo Regen Technologies UK » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:41 pm

Are cracked plate cells common with EV's??

My job is too remove your scepticism!

The battery company declined it because this system would remove the need to change batteries hence reducing the number of units they sell!

I would love to try and recover your batteries for you, I have a battery guy in Hampshire that could collect from you or feel free to visit us in Reading, Berkshire to drop them off.

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:00 pm

I've rarely if ever seen an on-road battery pack fail due to sulfation. This is in contrast to industrial EVs, caravan batteries, etc. which often get left sitting at partial states of charge for extended periods

On-road EV batteries mostly fail due to;

Chronic/acute overcharge
Positive grid corrosion (increased internal resistance)
Active material shedding/seperation
Loss of electrolyte (VRLA batteries)

Some AGMs (Optima, Hawker Genesis/Odyssey) can suffer loss of capacity due to the plates losing porosity. A higher charge current is usually the cure.
Paul

http://www.compton.vispa.com/scirocco/
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:16 pm

Following on from Paul's statements....

1. Is it possible to over charge with my Zivan NG3? If I regularly plug in at 30% DOD will this cause concerns?

2. What is the best DOD to recharge Wet Lead Acid from? Or is this a how long is a piece of string question? Obviously the more DOD I go to regularly the shorter the life expectancy. But is there a general rule of thumb?

3. Is it possible to plot a graph of regular DOD against expected battery cycles before failure?

Cheers

Christopher

Nigel P.A. Smith

Postby Nigel P.A. Smith » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:35 pm

Hey Guru,
I think this one has had very little use since only 4,185 miles on a 93, it was a University maintenance vehicle for some time, and it has a 120 volt charger, but only 72 volts in batteries, can I ad a couple of batteries, say to 96 or 120 volts, without changing the controller?

Chere's,
Nigel

Electric Rover (tomorrow)
Mazda MX3
Kawasaki GT550

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Duo Regen Technologies UK wrote:Are cracked plate cells common with EV's??

My job is too remove your scepticism!

The battery company declined it because this system would remove the need to change batteries hence reducing the number of units they sell!

I would love to try and recover your batteries for you, I have a battery guy in Hampshire that could collect from you or feel free to visit us in Reading, Berkshire to drop them off.

Well in that case I'll drop you a PM and sort something out with you , but I have to say I would be VERY impressed if you where able to recover these as they have the standard cell gone down which means if you try and recover it you end up toasting the good ones :cry:

ChrisB

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Good stuff Chris let me now what happens as we'd like to have something in Plugged In as JP is also testing another system too

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:38 am

geekygrilli wrote:2. What is the best DOD to recharge Wet Lead Acid from? Or is this a how long is a piece of string question? Obviously the more DOD I go to regularly the shorter the life expectancy. But is there a general rule of thumb?

Generally they say 80% DOD as after this there is minimal useful energy left in the battery.

geekygrilli wrote:3. Is it possible to plot a graph of regular DOD against expected battery cycles before failure?

This any good ??

http://www.usbattery.com/usb_images/cycle_life.xls.pdf

Although it doesnt say for what type of battery only that its based on the 20hr rate, but does give a basic indication of how DOD effects the life of a battery.

ChrisB

Return to “All things battery related”