saft ni-cd cells

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
kevrus

saft ni-cd cells

Postby kevrus » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi,
Anyone used Saft NI-CD cells or have any thoughts on them?
I've e-mailed them requesting a price for the STM 5-100 MR and the STM 5-140 MR but just wondered if anyone has any experience with them.

I'm considering a Quantum 2+2 as a base vehicle for a conversion, probably using a 9" DC motor at 120v and maybe (just maybe) a home built controller. Nothing decided for definite yet...

granada203028

Postby granada203028 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:12 pm

I acquired some used Ni Cad aircraft batteries a couple of years ago. Mostly with 35Ah cells. What was very impressive with them was how well they had survived unused for 15 - 20 years. Looked dry but just adding some distilled water they all charged up fine.

Energy density is only much the same as lead acid, though peak power is a little better. Very expensive new hence only used in aviation.

Self discharge is quite high, they go flat again in a few months and the cells in the usual 19 or 20 cell battery get unbalanced.

They do seem to gas allot when charged at C/10 and the potassium hydroxide electrolyte rises up. I have had a few flood. This electrolyte feels slimy and is perhaps not a nasty as sulphuric acid.

I found Saft UK not over helpful. When I enquired after their Lithium Ion offerings and mentioned jo public can (or could) get large cells from the Chinese they were horrified!

kevrus

Postby kevrus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:01 pm

I have since received a reply from Saft UK regarding pricing and supply for the flooded ni-cds which reads as follows:

"Thank you for your enquiry. As our resource is completely used to support major projects we are unable to quote you for your project."

Not amazingly helpful, but maybe they have a policy of not dealing with the public

electricvehicles

Postby electricvehicles » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi Kevrus

Please email me a copy of what you sent to Saft and I will see what I can get sorted. Just so happens that we are a service agent for Saft battery chargers :wink:
Regards
Dave
electricvehicles@aol.com

Return to “All things battery related”