House batteries

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
JonSpence

Postby JonSpence » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 am

night train wrote:Thanks, part of the thesis will be to see how it might work and what is going to be the best way forward to using renewables, storage and the grid together.

Well, if I can be forgiven for mentioning companies who are working on the subject, it might be worth your while doing some research on ITM.

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/Articles/3 ... r+play.htm

ITM's vision is to store hydrogen produced by wind or solar energy, or off-peak electricity. 'You can't run a factory just when the wind blows, and countries with a large wind penetration have to run fossil-fuel plants in parallel in case the wind drops. So renewable energy systems don't do the job without storage,' said Heathcote.
The company also plans to go into production in the second half of 2009 with a 1W-2W domestic electrolyser that would be used to refuel a metal hydride cylinder. This could be used with a fuel cell to give backup electricity for essential appliances, or users could buy several to use with solar panels to power a hydrogen home.

I don't totally with his thesis that renewable energy can't contribute without storage (or that grid storage does not already exist) and I have not felt inclined to buy shares in the company, but information about their activities may be of interest for your thesis.

They launched the system described in July and it was reported in the mainstream media (ie BBC and ITV).

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:12 am

of course there's plenty of green tariffs you can switch your electricity supply to such as Carbonista for example. It's a lot less technically involved than fitting home turbines and battery systems but then it's not self sufficient which to me is an ideal goal both on a personal basis and I think a more global basis.

floydster
Site Staff

Re: House batteries

Postby floydster » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:15 pm

night train wrote:What sort of batteries would one use in a building to most effectively store excess electricity?

I'm thinking about an 'intelligent building' storing electricity when there is some and using during power failures with the option of charging when electricity is cheap and in excess and selling when prices are high and demand peaks.

I have an unreliable power supply and do exactly this. All I have is a couple of bog standard Halfords leisure betteries topped up with a solar panel for use during emergencies. The batteries have lasted about ten years so far and haven't ever given up on me. All they power is lighting, TV and laptop. Heat and hot water is now supplied using wood :)

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

Return to “All things battery related”