Convincing work to allow me to charge

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
pyjohnson

Convincing work to allow me to charge

Postby pyjohnson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:52 pm

I’m new to this forum so Hi to everyone

I’ve been trying to convince my work to allow me to charge (top up) my Vectrix electric scooter, unsuccessfully so far.

It being a scooter it’s only requiring about a one hour top up charge using about 1.6Kw out of a standard 13A socket.

They keep saying they would need to install a metered outlet which would be too expensive and not financially viable. And any free use of company electricity for non work related activities would be deemed a benefit in kind that would incur tax implications for the employee

I have offered to use one of these plug-in power meters and pay for the electricity that I use but it just fell on deaf ears.

Has anyone had any similar experiences or suggestions?

Peter

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 pm

Interesting timing as the results of a survey posing those sorts of questions are just being collated and should be available in the next couple of days.

MB

Postby MB » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:39 pm

It sounds like someone is being particularly pedantic in your company, especially because you've offered to measure it yourself with a plug in meter.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do, short of arranging for a separate metered supply to be fitted at your own cost.

Not having the facilities to charge up at work is a barrier to the take up of EVs. I'm not sure what us enthusiasts can do about it - other than potentially petitioning our MPs to make a change to the legislation. To make a difference, not only should the benefit in kind be removed but there ought to be a financial incentive to these companies to cover the costs of installing the appropriate charging equipment.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Well you could write to the press about it

Spect they might change their tune a bit then

I love jobsworths me ;) lovely sensible folk ;) ;)

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Is it a big company? Does it have an environmental policy or anyone who is assigned to handle environmental issues? If the company is at all concerned about its environmental image then it may be worth contacting whoever deals with these things and suggesting that this could be a feather in their cap, if you haven't already done so, that is.

pyjohnson

Postby pyjohnson » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:40 am

Thanks for your replies folks

Yes I do work for a relatively large company and I think there might be one or two people just blocking any sensible requests for something new/different, as they do

There seems to be a couple of us on site that could make use of a charging point so will need to put our heads together

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:52 pm

I work for a very big multi national company and I was lucky enough that they let me charge at work. It was only really possible as we have got a stores that is away from the offices that I can park at and plug in.
We have got a department that is looking at our " foot print " and they were very enthusiastic about my Gwiz.
I even got a reply from the part of the company that is developing Li-ion battery packs but unfortunately they cant' supply me with their new battery pack !! shame on them :-)

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:32 pm

I work for a large National Government Body, and I now am able to charge my Vehicle. I use a plug in power monitor that I purchased from an E bay seller and log the power I use. I then pay them every quarter for the power I use. The biggest problem was with some of my Jobsworth colleagues, who didnt want our energy use targets hampered, (Missing the wider issues) and insisted that the Berlingo was PAT tested (well in reality the lead and power usage device) Aparently strictly speaking the plug in vehicle falls outside the Portable Apliance Testing guidance, so even thats questionable.

But I have everything Pat Tested and log my usage, then every quarter I explain to my area manager how much CO2 his support of my charging has saved (We aparently claim to have a 100% green energy supply so any charge at work will supposedly be a full CO2 reduction)

Regards
Grumpy-b

pyjohnson

Postby pyjohnson » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:09 am

Grumpy-b wrote:...... I then pay them every quarter for the power I use. .....

By what means do you pay them, by just handing over cash?

Good idea. Explaining how much CO2 is saved is a good way of showing how environmentally friendly it is. I just did a quick calculation and it would help me save over 1.4Tonnes of CO2 a year.

Peter

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:25 pm

I calculate what I need to pay then give them a cheque. I guess some organisations may need to charge you (Invoice you) to process a payment and add the VAT.
Our organisation uses a supposedly green tarrif so lots of brownie points can be gained by the CO2 reductions. Sell it to the management, any way you can.
The problem of co2 output from an electric car from conventional power is that its likely to get nearer to 100gm /km of co2. Actually not as green as we would like to believe. The co2 output from the average power generating company is 3to600 gms / kwh.

So unless you have a very green tarrif, using electric vehicles can be less than splendidly green.

Some companies Like Eco tricity arnt fully green, they are currently about 50% zero carbon, but at least they are investing in the generating kit with new turbines, rather than just purchasing power from other small scale suppliers like many of the larger power suppliers.

Grumpy-b

Return to “All things battery related”