change of batteries

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
craftyfox

change of batteries

Postby craftyfox » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:43 pm

I am currently running a bike on 3 X 12V 14Ah batteries. And i am thinking of getting some lithium batteries. Will it be better to get a bigger batt (more vot etc) or stick to the same ammount ?

Cheers
Jay

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:47 pm

Increasing the voltage might be possible, but you would need to be sure that the electronic components (controller, any power/charge meter, charger etc) were all suitable for the higher voltage.

Generally, increasing system voltage with no other changes will increase speed, whereas increasing system capacity, with no change in voltage, will increase range. It's possible that range may increase with a system voltage increase, but that very much depends on not using the increased speed potential.

You will find that going from a 36V, 14Ah, lead acid battery to a similar capacity lithium battery will give you about 20% - 30% more range, as the lithium pack has more usable capacity.

I'd suggest looking carefully at how much space you have available, comparing it to the size of a suitable lithium pack (I'd recommend a LiFePO4 pack from someone reliable, like Li Ping, see here: http://www.pingbattery.com). You may find that a 10 or 12Ah LiFePO4 pack will do what you want, with a useful saving in weight. Alternatively, if you have the cash and can find the space, a bigger LiFePO4 battery will significantly increase your range.

Jeremy

Return to “All things battery related”