new pack required

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
subevo

new pack required

Postby subevo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:56 pm

looking for a li-ion pack to suit 72volts and at least 100ah. can anyone get a price or a contact to achieve this.

timpootle

Re: new pack required

Postby timpootle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 pm

How is the Matiz going, subevo? There is a recent post on here from HiPowerKevin with data for his cells, in 2 different flavours, and other manufacturers are doing similar prismatic cells.

I offer the same advice I give everyone (and didn't listen to myself) - Buy your cells last, after the BMS and charger and crates and everything, so at to gain the best benefit of advancing technology and calendar life. I don't mean delay, waiting for the perfect battery (which will never arrive), just don't have a big expensive pile of lithium sat on your garage floor for months.

Your project has seen the road much quicker than mine, which I applaud, and please don't take my suggestion as an insult. Just do all the homework you can before spending the money.
Tim Crumpton

subevo

Postby subevo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 pm

hi tim. the matiz clocked up 3000 miles then the batteries started failing after just one year.partly due to me not checking properly and water went below 2 off the batteries probably due to the fact that each time i checked for the first 6 months they didnt need topped up so i just got lazy.

the charger started overcharging probably due to a dying battery confusing the feedback.its now got to the point where the zivan charger dosent know when to stop charging and continues to think its 80% charged until it times out after several hours by which time the batteries are boiled almost too hot to touch.this i didnt know was happening as i was at work and didnt notice at first as i had 100% faith in the charger.when new it would fully charge from 60% in about 2 hours.i had a couple of spare sealed batteries which i swapped just to see what happened but it was like a domino effect the next weaker battery would start to go down to 3 volts under load.

i spent £1200 on 6 off trojan scs225 130ah flooded 12volt so either i need a source of cheap lead acid or see what prices i can get li-ion .learnt some lessons.

even if i fully charge now the power just drains away overnight.its depressing.
found a li-ion battery manufacturer in dundee and emailed them .reply we dont do one offs.

so what are my options? and a realistic price for the bms plus cells etc.must admit to not knowing much about li-ion.can you not get a complete package cells ,bms from the same place.

just as a note i also have an electric bicycle which has had the same nimh battery for the past 4 years and refuses to die.i then bought a li-ion manganese for another bike and it died after 11months.so if i had a choice i would get nimh.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:45 am

David Cowperthwaite in UK sells Highpower lithium cells.

I would never go back to lead acid again after having used lithium.

There are zillions of BMS designs available http://liionbms.com/php/bms_options.php

ASFAIK you can't buy large scale NIMH cells/packs so that is not really an option.

NIMH is heavier and suffers from rapid self discharge and is not as effcient as lithium.

So it's lead or lithium. You can get your Zivan charger re-programmed for a set of Lithium cells for about £50.

Peter
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

subevo

Postby subevo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:54 am

thanks peter .it was you who inspired me years ago with your solar van.

Return to “All things battery related”