is it worth the hassle ordering batteries from usa

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
subevo

is it worth the hassle ordering batteries from usa

Postby subevo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:49 am

looking at this place anyone had any dealings http://www.lithiumstorage.com or any other recommendations.

im looking for 72volts and 100ah plus bms. what do you think of the prices. i know they do a mini bms for $400 or a hipower for $750usd

timpootle

Re: is it worth the hassle ordering batteries from usa

Postby timpootle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:19 pm

I got my HiPower cells from Dave Cowperthwaite of TYCTrack in Southport, Lancashire. Dave dealt with all the shipping and import paperwork for me.
Tim Crumpton

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:37 pm

ditto as per Tim.

You could make your own BMS :wink:

Huge choice here http://liionbms.com/php/bms_options.php
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

subevo

Postby subevo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:00 pm

thanks guys.
im no good at electronics.
iwas looking for a link to david cowperthwaite.so thanks for that.ill give him a try.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Quick word of warning. DO NOT CLICK ON THE "FORUM" LINK from David Cowperthewaite's web site. I just have and have had a succession of virus warnings, as there is malicious code on that site that tries to install a rootkit. If successful, these things are really very nasty and effectively compromise any secure web access you may use.

Jeremy

subevo

Postby subevo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:46 pm

just an update ive been quoted around £3000 for 24 off 100ah hipower cells plus bms.

dilemma is its alot of money.weight wise its half the weight of lead not the 1/3 thats often banded around.and ive currently 130ah batteries so probably the same range out of the 100ah cells.

or do i slog it out with 6 more lead ones for £920 trojans or supposed replacements for trojans XHS30 for £720 touted on ebay(RP30D). its crunch time.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:58 pm

With the 100ah lithium batteries you can get 100ah out of them, and cycle them much more deeply and regulary. You won't get anything like 130ah out of the lead acid at ev drain rates without knackering them in short order, nor will they give as many cycles.

Did you get your quote from david? If so make sure you get the new design cells and please post any spec sheets so we can have a look.

So in a useable power per weight ratio the Lithium will be 1/3rd of the weight for the same power at least. Time to move on IMO you will never be able to go back to lead again once you have tried lithium :wink:
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Return to “All things battery related”