Charging Points - comments please

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ChrisB

Re: Charging Points - comments please

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Beemer wrote:............. all the need to do is tap the mains from a hole and stick the plug on a pole..

If only it was that simple then they would be everywhere by now :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:33 pm

ChrisB wrote:
Beemer wrote:............. all they need to do is tap the mains from a hole and stick the plug on a pole..

If only it was that simple then they would be everywhere by now :wink:

ChrisB

Well, for reference please note the op's, Kevin Sharpe's costs for 16 and 32 amp sockets. Nothing like Wigans £100,000/sockets.

20 minute (3C) or If you have a Tesla roadster, 7KWH, (£1/hr) charging would be a game changer for your average user. People already waste 10 minutes at the filing station.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:40 pm

Agreed, but Kevins ones are installed to my knowledge on Private supplies that the owners are happy to allow their use for free, with the possible pay back that the client is likely to spend money at their establishment, and the owners are happy to take any of the associated risks :wink:

While Wigans costs seem quite high we dont actually know what part of the 4mill is the actual costs of the 400 points themselves and what part of the costs are for all the red tape, consultations and wages of the folks who are getting envolved etc before even one hole is dug let alone buying the point and then getting it connected to the supply authority.

To give you an idea, say you hit a street light in your car and squashed it to replace said street light, depending on what type it is, you could be looking at anything in the region of £1500 :shock: this is just to replace like with like, imagine the cost of putting new in.

ChrisB

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:01 pm

ChrisB wrote:Agreed, but Kevins ones are installed to my knowledge on Private supplies that the owners are happy to allow their use for free, with the possible pay back that the client is likely to spend money at their establishment, and the owners are happy to take any of the associated risks
correct.... most site owners have realised that they make more from a fancy bottle of mineral water than the electricity costs them to charge an EV.
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:32 am

ChrisB wrote:Agreed, but Kevins ones are installed to my knowledge on Private supplies that the owners are happy to allow their use for free, with the possible pay back that the client is likely to spend money at their establishment, and the owners are happy to take any of the associated risks :wink:

While Wigans costs seem quite high we dont actually know what part of the 4mill is the actual costs of the 400 points themselves and what part of the costs are for all the red tape, consultations and wages of the folks who are getting envolved etc before even one hole is dug let alone buying the point and then getting it connected to the supply authority.

To give you an idea, say you hit a street light in your car and squashed it to replace said street light, depending on what type it is, you could be looking at anything in the region of £1500 :shock: this is just to replace like with like, imagine the cost of putting new in.

ChrisB

The lamp post will be replaced anyway. bunging in a new socket and reconnecting cannot be a killer.

I suggest Wigan council give me £100,000 and I will buy/steal a disclaimer - Some nice ones up Winterhill. Pave my front garden and fit a socket or two, electric for free. sounds like a fair deal :mrgreen:

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Can I have a couple as well :mrgreen:

ChrisB

Return to “All things battery related”