Expert battery advice needed - Aixam Mega City

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ambey

Re: Expert battery advice needed - Aixam Mega City

Postby ambey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 am

Hi Greg,
Thanks for your thoughts. The inbuilt charger on the Aixam only looks at the terminal voltage of each of the 12, 12V batteries, not at individual cells so a new charger looks required. Considering the extra cost of Lithium over Lead and a new charger weighed against my maximum daily mileage I don't think it stacks up to swop to Lithium so I think I will do a straight replacement of my ABM 6-DM-76's.
Do you have any suggestions of a UK supplier of these or similar 73AH batteries?
Thanks. John

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Secbattery.com may have a suitable replacement. I used them quite a few years ago and found them help.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

ambey

Postby ambey » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi Greg, thanks for that, I have submitted enquiry and will let you know.
cheers
John :)

ambey

Postby ambey » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Hello,
I have found Leoch Deep Cycle Battery 12v 75Ah - LPC12-75 which is a virtual direct replacement for the existing batteries.
I got 5 from a mobility scooter company on ebay for a very good price and 7 from the Battery Company at a reasonable price.

In total, the average cost including VAT and delivery for each battery was £102.80 which is a very good price !!. I have installed the batteries and they work fine. The external dimensions are very slightly different which meant I had to shuffle the batteries slightly so the interconnection leads would reach but apart from that I am very pleased. I hope these last another 5 years like the origional ones did !!
John :D

martinwinlow

Postby martinwinlow » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:12 pm

So, someone please correct me if I am wrong, but Carl's photo of the AMC's battery layout suggests a '3P 4S' (3 parallel, 4 series) layout which equates to a nominal pack spec of 48V, ~200Ah weighing ~250kg?

If so, seems to me the ideal replacement solution would be 4 x Valence U27-12XP on their sides weighing, together, a 'mere' 80kg with about 30% more capacity (allowing for Mr Peukert)... only they cost £2k EACH!... unless, of course, you could find some decent second hand ones... ;)

I would guess as well as a small range improvement, the acceleration would be transformed, too.

Does anyone have any technical documentation and/or diagnostic tools/software/hardware for these vehicles? Or any knowledge thereof?

I have a possible scheme for a few of these cars in mind but any sort of official servicing would be impossible - it would all have to be DIY...
Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

Return to “All things battery related”