Alittle advice with charging final phase with lifepo4

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Beemer

Re: Alittle advice with charging final phase with lifepo4

Postby Beemer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Why did you assume I said add another 10% Voltage? That flies in the face of what I'm saying all along!

There is no point whatsoever attempting to eek out the last bits of charge. You could get more charge out of the pack by adding in insulation and a thermal blanket!

Just keep it simple and enjoy the ride! :)

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:05 pm

You were refering to specific voltages, and adding 10%charge would have meant that you could not control by voltage alone, which then went against your viewpoint of charging by strict voltage.

Just a confusion of terms,

Grumpy-b

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:33 pm

I said nothing of the sort and the Leaf reference was proof. If I had a belief an extra 10% of Voltage was my aim then I would of stated the Voltage.
The meaning was 10% more battery. You can save that by driving a little more slowly or carefully.

Any prolonged voltages would never be held over 3.38V (at 20 Centigrade) by me.

Even Jack Rickard of EVTV has more recently inferred any complicated charging regime was simply not worth it the small gains.
My view is trying to get clever will result in dumb things.

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the contribution....

Ok, my aim to be honest is not to extend the range to max and fully charge the cells to max, it is merely a precaution as a result of a port entail overcharge situation.

I charge the cells to 3.5v max, so once any cell in the pack gets to 3.5v the charge process stops.

All I want to try to get to is IF the cell max alarm circuit was to fail in some way, like, the maid relay sticks in the on state, then the charger cannot put too much extra capacity into the cells,

So, if the charger fails to get a signal to stop at 3.5v, then the total pack voltage is set so that the charger just goes into cv stage and cannot destroy the pack as it's already set at its target voltage....

I'm not sure if I've described what I would like to achieve correctly, but it's the best way I can think of describing what I want to achieve.

I could charge the cells to 3.7v if I wanted, I chose 3.5v to try to protect them alittle.

I hope I've explained it right.

Thanks.

Anthony

Return to “All things battery related”