Charging points in the new house

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
aminorjourney

Charging points in the new house

Postby aminorjourney » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:37 am

Hi folks,

So I'm going to be putting some new power outside for the EV charging. I'm contemplating two 16 A sockets outside and a 30 A socket (two local people can use 30 A).

Two spurs, one for each 30A line, plus associated RCDs? What do people think? :)
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:53 am

Ah I remember out chat about this :wink:

If your want to pull some real power then I'd run a couple of 32A 6mm cable supplies out to sockets backed up by 32A RCCBO's rated at 30mA.
I'm saying 6mm Twin and Earth as that "should" be fine but I dont know how far the run is so cant calculate the voltdrop etc for it.

If your saying you have two locals who can use the 32A sockets then I would go with installing two of these and then spur off for and add a 16A below each one , that would give you four outlets.

Or you could run one single large submain supply in say 10mm from your current fuse box and use this submain to then split down into several smaller options outside ?? You might find this is a better option and give more options as well as you could pre wire a nice legrand style box with a fuse box and RCD/s in it attach the 16A and 32A and even some 13A water proof sockets to the outside of it and then just attach the box to the wall and stick the sub main cable into it and connect it to the Fuse box in side the box. This also means if someone overloads a single socket or trips a RCD then you dont have to go all the way back into the house to reset it :wink:

Does that make sence ??

One thing to bear in mind is your supply companies main fuse , most people will have a 100A or maybe 80A fitted but some are only 60A and while it should be OK you "might" start to run into problems if you have a lot of people charging and you then decide to boil a kettle, switch on the washing machine , dishwasher and tumble all at the same time :lol:

Now for the small print :roll:

You cannot carry out work on your own electrical instalation if you :-
Are installing a new cricuit
Carrying out ANY modifications in special locations, a special location is Kitchen, Bathroom, or outside power.

If you do any of the above then by law you have to tell building control in your local area :roll:
The only thing joe public can do these days is change like for like anywhere else in the house and extend a circuit in any other part of the house and thats it !

All other work and you will be breaking the Part P building regs :roll:

So as you are doing two of the things they dont want you to do Nikki i.e installing a new circuit or two and these are going outside then in theory you should tell building control about this and then they will kindly fleece you for piles of dosh to get it all inspected :roll:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:59 am

...Just how much are we talking Chris? Will it be cheaper for me to do it myself and get inspected or get someone in?
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:09 am

All depends really on length of cable runs and equipment used. Also what your council will charge for an inspection etc , the lot round here are a mere :evil: They want £60 off you to submit what your doing and then a further 120 to send round some baffoon who actually dosnt know what hes looking at :roll: or they will say they actually havent got anyone to inspect it and then you run into other problems as you might find it tricky to get someone else to sign off work thats not been carried out by them :roll:

If I where you I'd get a couple of firms in to do a quote for you and see what they want to do it and what they come up with (make sure they are part of the domestic install scheme or Part-P registered though) and take it from there.

Of course you could just do it yourself :wink: but this would be breaking all those lovely rules and regs bods in offices like to create just to hack us, the workers, off :evil:

ChrisB

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:18 am

Personally I'd get some old colour coded cable and do it myself and say it was always there.

These so called regulations for safety are the next biggest con trick next to the war in Iraq. But don't let my opinion sway you in any direction. It's just an opinion :wink:

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:26 am

Tell me about it Kelvin, I have to try and live with them :evil:

The idea was suppose to get rid of the cowboys, instead it seems to have made things WORSE, you can go on 2 and 3 day courses to become Part-P registered and pay a nice tidy some to an organisation and become certificated :? these so called certificated bods are now claiming to be electricians :shock:
I dont think so :evil:
Yet the bloke who's got 20 odd years experience and has all the qualifications cannot legally work on the above areas as I stated unless they too pay a governing body a nice tidy some etc
Even now they keep changing the goal posts and until they get it all sorted out I'm staying well clear of it all.

ChrisB

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:44 am

Oh I know it only too well.

I'm actually from a fire protection background myself and I've recently gone back into it inspecting all kinds of sites and installations. I've got to go on a course shortly to get a certificate to say that I know how to climb a ladder!!!!!

That's only one of the poxy certificates I have to get and pay for, fortunately though each time I go one one of these numskull courses to learn how to do these amazing things I get paid quite a tidy amount of money so I really don't care too much. But it's effin' rediculous the state this country has become it's run by a bunch of beaurocratic paper pushers

Teslas fag packet

Postby Teslas fag packet » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:50 am

Here here, there replacing spunk with junk.

it seems that flair and natural ability is secondary to your ability to fill in forms, and attend courses that cost £1000's or is it $1000

the great and powerful tesla's fag packet has spoken
Yorkshire isn't just a place, it's a state of mind!

http://www.minievolution.com/

qdos

Postby qdos » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:43 am

I think the only truely worthwhile development that came out of paper work and documentation, rather than common sense and genuine intelligence, was fire. But then I have a commercial interest in that statement to an extent LOL :wink:

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:32 pm

It just amazes me these days all the poxy rubish that we get shoved down our throats, where has common sense gone :cry: , and why??, cause of the "where theres a blame theres a claim" stuff eh :evil: and where did that come from eh :roll: mmmmmmm

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for safe working but its just gone mad now and rather than fixing the problem they just invent more daft rules and regulations for us to follow :roll:

ChrisB

Return to “All things battery related”