Berlingo battery storage

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ChrisB

Berlingo battery storage

Postby ChrisB » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Right well now I have a nice stock of spare batts for my berlingo, ok they are pre 2000 but some seem to be still OK , I'm wondering whats the best way of storing them.

Anyone got any ideas ?? I've heard rumors that wet nicads like to be run flat and then shorting bars put across the terminals for storing, apparently this is what the military do with theres ?? but I'm not sure if this is just an old wives tale ??

Shall I just leave them as is and then when I want to put them back into service carry out a maint charge and top or what ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Fri May 25, 2007 9:49 am

Hi Chris - I think the flattening and shorting bars is more for safety than for preserving the life of the Ni-Cad.

I have an article somewhere I'll try and dig out about preserving NiCads, but if anyone is in Aerospace you coukl dask them what they do with the aircraft starting NiCads to store them.

Have you looked at teh SAFT tech spec for the Bling blocks.

JOhn

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri May 25, 2007 1:18 pm

Theres nothing in the techs from memory, but I'll have a look again.

If you could find that article I would be interested, cheers John

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Fri May 25, 2007 1:33 pm

http://www.buchmann.ca/Article10-Page1.asp is one source of info but there is another I am still looking for and it was to do with the US armed forces use of nicads and how they transported them. I'll keep looking.

Return to “All things battery related”