SUSTRANS' broadside on electric cars

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
Jon Fray

SUSTRANS' broadside on electric cars

Postby Jon Fray » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:13 am

I read this in their membership magazine "The Hub" but it appears to be the same thing as here at page 22 in "The Network". For my own part I struggle with justifying having a battery car for local journeys (I'd cycle) but I'd be happier to use an electric car for longer journeys.

www.sustrans.org.uk/webfiles/Publicatio ... ssue09.pdf

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Interesting read :!:

There are a few problems with us all walking or cycling or using public transport for local journeys.

We live in the countryside and have no bus service close to us.
The roads are very narrow and with 'satnav' available to all, are frequented by vehicles either going to or from Eden but with drivers who are not accustomed to narrow winding and steep roads!
Cycling around here is now unsafe. We used to cycle and walk a lot but now tend to use our EV (sometimes with bikes onboard) to park somewhere so we can walk/cycle in safety.

We also use our EV for shopping trips. We aren't as young as we were and quite honestly would struggle to walk several miles laden with just a few bags etc. :(
Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

badnewswade

Sustrans

Postby badnewswade » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Believe me, Sustrans are in no position to lecture anyone about the cars v bikes controversy, being an unelected quango which happily collaberates with local council corporate greenwash and the destruction of green space (including cycle routes). Check this out:

http://onthelevelblog.wordpress.com/200 ... rporation/

http://greenbristolblog.blogspot.com/se ... l/sustrans

(Also they have an unpleasant habit of hassling people for money, etc when you actually try to use "their" cyclepaths.)

So all in all I'm not surprised that such an organisation would rubbish electric cars. :roll:
34 Watt Hours per mile, or > 700 MPG. What, me, smug?

Return to “Hot off the press....”