Nissan to make batteries in UK

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
ChrisB

Nissan to make batteries in UK

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:27 am

Quite surprised no ones bunged this up yet .....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8158420.stm

I'm also surprised they are actually manufacturing Li-ions here in the UK, unless the press have got it wrong and its more the case they just make up the packs ??

Be interesting to see where this goes, surely it cant mean we're actually going to see reasonably priced EV's that are look like everyday cars ???!!!!

:wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:47 am

Hope they won't just be for putting in the Nissan Nuvu that was recently spoken about! That's only going to be a small 2+1 EV :(
Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Oh dear forgot about that little wonder :roll:

Why cant they make a vehicle that people actually want to buy, durrr is it that difficult.

I've said it once, and hey I'll say it again :P the number of folk who love the berlingo and ask if theres a car version and all I can say is "well there is the rare 106 but otherwise no" and everyone always says what a shame.

Folks want a normal car that runs on batteries that they can buy now, why cant the manufacturers see this :? but oh no they have to build either mirco cars that look a bit odd or something that trys to take on a Porshe :roll:

<rant off> :lol:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:50 pm

I would go for the Nissan Nuvu as it does sort of satisfy one of my vehicle needs.

The Berlingo doesn't quite do it for me, too big for the commute and too short for my work but I see what you mean for the general population.

Personally I would love to see little 1+1 EVs alongside decent sized family sized EVs.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:38 pm

Night Train wrote:Personally I would love to see little 1+1 EVs alongside decent sized family sized EVs.

So would I. The vast majority of private car journeys in the UK are made with only the driver, or perhaps the driver and one passenger. We have reserved "multi occupancy vehicle" parking spaces at work (nearest the car park access), and out of around 1500 cars in the car park maybe 50 are in the reserved spaces, with at least half the reserved spaces empty. A walk around any big supermarket or out of town shopping centre tells the same story, the vast majority of people drive around with only one or two seats occupied.

The snag is, we end up buying bigger cars for the small number of essential journeys that we make with the car full. If it made economic sense to own two cars, that might be an answer, or perhaps we need to look at a different ownership model altogether, one where we own a small car for the majority of our journeys and hire a bigger one for the occasional trip where it's needed.

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:14 am

That's the sort of thing that decided me to have an estate car and a couple of trailers.
I need the capacity of a transit van for some of my work sometimes.
I need the utility of a pick up for some of my work sometimes.
I need to be able to ferry family around sometimes.
I do a longish distance solo commute most times.
I could have, or have access to, four better suited vehicles but that involves more cost and space if they were all mine and much greater organisation if I were to hire as I need.

If I could have found a very small car that could tow a large trailer then I would have done that but work requirements with the trailers detemined the size of car.

I haven't even looked at towing with an EV.

Return to “Hot off the press....”