MECC Manchester

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
Kevin Sharpe

Re: MECC Manchester

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:08 pm

mattcarr wrote:I thought they are 2 separate companies.
they are...
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:23 pm

Chargemaster/Podpoint were two separate companies but now operate under the same banner. Effectively merged.... But wait! Seen the news?
Chargemaster have floated on the stock exchange the other day and BMW has bought the major stake. I have no idea what their business plan is.

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:29 pm

But maybe Kevin is right and the gasman who fitted my evse is wrong and podpoint did refer me to chargemaster when trying to get it done ;-\
So what am I to think?

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Beemer wrote:So what am I to think?
no connection between the two companies was disclosed in the recent OFT investigation.... IMO they are seperate companies;

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/mergers_ea02/2013/Chargemaster.pdf
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Kevin Sharpe wrote:
Beemer wrote:So what am I to think?
no connection between the two companies was disclosed in the recent OFT investigation.... IMO they are seperate companies;

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/mergers_ea02/2013/Chargemaster.pdf

Thanks for clarifying that Kev :)
Didn't we also read of a Leafer that used used a podpoint on a chargemaster card or vice versa and I could swear blind they shared a phone number. Normally I'd take it as that, even with the maps not being merged. I wish I had that number/webpage to hand.... Odd. :shock:

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Kev, tuts!
"In particular chargemaster operates polar".

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:41 am

Beemer wrote:"In particular chargemaster operates polar".
yeh, Polar is one of the brands that Chargemaster uses but it's not the same as the company PodPoint :D

Beemer wrote:Didn't we also read of a Leafer that used used a podpoint on a chargemaster card or vice versa
lots of the cards interoperate because the back office systems are run by the same company... however, this is often more by luck than design... for example, my old source london card would enable Ecotricity Charging Stations even though the two networks had no connection.

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Podpoint <NOT> Polar.. Ooops. Thats it. Silly me. Thx Kevin. :arrow: :oops:

I'm not a contract mobile phone carrying person so would prefer one single & free card for any charging post. I've ordered a lifetime CYC card (£10). This should enable me for a lot of these local posts.

I checked a local Asda post and all the doors to the sockets were open but its asking for a swipe... chargemaster I think, Hmmm.

Maybe the RFID does come from a single source:- PRISM/NSA lol. After all, the consequences of lending a card is deletion. In theory three Leafs can recharge from a single 62196-2 socket with a little cheating.

My home charger, if someone else uses it will upset chargemaster. Mad, considering you can have one of these even if you do not own an EV.

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:10 pm

ok,, well, while GMEV / Chargeyourcar has been set up in the Greater Manchester area; I can make some comments about the use of..

1. - Went to Bolton into the multi storey NCP car park. Here they have three floors of charge points. Two floors were totally ICE'd out and the third was blocked off by electrical contractors stuff.. they were fixing lights elsewhere. All points were switched off, no signs nor painted. We were told they have been in here for years but nobody has used them. Hmmm. Oh, and was charged £2.20 parking for the pleasure of wasting my time.

2. - Stopped in Horwich. (Water st. Car park). It's free so should encourage shopping there, The points charge ok but some scroat has ripped off the sprung caps that cover the sockets. Well, it is Horwich!

3. - Today we went to the Trafford Centre. Found one of the locations. Three posts for 6 cars all to myself in a prime location for parking. Other cars were parked doubled up in annoying places elsewhere on that floor, as usual. The EV area is beautifully painted with green flooring and well marked. Connected up, went shopping and came back a happy bunny.

If all is good will be over to the BVS meet on the 16th, might try that one near to Tims ;)
With all these posts coming up I suggest get your self that socket on your EV and it will open up your range, give you the best parking slots and save you some money --- while they are free!

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:47 am

What are you driving? I didn't think you had an EV finished yet.
Tim Crumpton

Return to “Hot off the press....”