My PowaByke

Do you own or use or want to build a assisted bike then here is the place for you.
PeteB

My PowaByke

Postby PeteB » Sat May 26, 2007 10:00 pm

I bought an electric assist bike nearly 2 years ago on eBay. It's been reliable, although I only use it about once a week on average. I recently changed jobs partly to get a few more spare hours, so I'm hoping to get out on it more often. Buying it on eBay meant I paid £300 instead of £600 for a new one, and mine was obviously unused despite being 2 years old. Fortunately, the battery seems to have been well looked after (the owner said he charged it periodically). I drove 100 miles in my hybrid Prius to fetch it.

I'm 51 now, and used to cycle a lot until my late 30s, when changing work patterns left me no time for physical activity. As a result, I've nearly doubled in weight since. I'm keen to get active again, but found my larger frame didn't go comfortably on my old racing style bike with it's wafer thin saddle (especially with 25 st pressing down on it). My extra padding also meant I could only just touch the ground with the saddle at its lowest, and putting a padded saddle on made matters worse. :( Plus, where I now live is very hilly, and a combination of being basically unfit and having to haul the extra load meant I could barely manage a mile before being knackered and very sore! :oops: Years ago, I would have thought nothing of cycling to work and back (sometimes home and back at lunch time - 5 miles each way, plus a mile each way to the swimming pool before work), then doing 20-30 miles on it in the evening.

The PowaByke (it's a 5-speed 'shopper' - see www.powabyke.com - the current model has an extra gear ratio, but is otherwise identical).

I pedal most of the time, but get a bit of help on the hills, against headwinds, etc. On the hills around here, with my bulk on it, there's no way the bike will get up just on electric power, and neither would I with leg power - working together, we just about make it! Basically, it's the difference between not cycling at all and getting some fresh air and exercise. I'm delighted with it, just wish I'd got it earlier.

I've added Catseye LED lights, an electric horn, handle bar mirror and helmet mirror, a Cateye trip computer and a GIVI large locking box on the rear rack. It certainly looks odd (wouldn't have been seen dead on such a thing a few years ago!) and it gives the local kids a laugh, but it's invaluable to me and saves some car journeys to local shops and bottle banks too. I charge the battery overnight using a timer to get off peak electricity. It usually costs about half to one penny per charge, based on a plug in meter I bought from Maplin.

Just 5 minutes' pedalling from my home gets me into pleasant Hertfordshire countryside, single track lanes, where I see few buildings, even fewer cars (but a few horses, rabbits and the occasional deer and, oh yes: aircraft!). A rocker switch on the left handle bar switches between assist mode (only helps while pedals turning) and power mode assists at any time. Twisting the right handle bar grip sends variable power to the front hub motor. A key in the battery turned one way switches on the system, pressed in and turned the other allows the battery to be removed for charging - the middle position is off, and allows the key to be removed. Three LEDs on the throttle body indicate charge level, but the very basic instructions are of limited help in understanding them, or much else about the bike.

I would have liked built-in front and rear LED lights that automatically come on when the system is on. I can't believe the drain would be significant.

Still, I'm very pleased with it, and get on it whenever I can.

Regards

PeteB, Luton UK
Last edited by PeteB on Sun May 27, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sun May 27, 2007 9:35 am

These electric bikes are brilliant aren't they? I have three and although I don't use them much (because the dog needs walking and that gives me plenty of exercise and my EV and Prius take me elsewhere) I do try and ride them as much as possible.

You'll have to come along to the electrathon on 30th June with it to see just how far you can go on a charge. It's going to be a great day. In fact, d'you think you could borrow the PHEV Prius for the weekend? ;)

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

PeteB

Postby PeteB » Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 pm

aminorjourney wrote:You'll have to come along to the electrathon on 30th June with it to see just how far you can go on a charge. It's going to be a great day. In fact, d'you think you could borrow the PHEV Prius for the weekend? ;)

Where is it please? Time is my main enemy at the moment.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sun May 27, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi Pete,

It's at the Haynes Track, near Yovil. It's a weekend thing and should be a lot of fun!

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

PeteB

Postby PeteB » Sun May 27, 2007 9:45 pm

aminorjourney wrote:Hi Pete,

It's at the Haynes Track, near Yovil. It's a weekend thing and should be a lot of fun!

Nikki.

I'd love to come along, but I can't spare the ime at the moment I'm afriad.

When things are less hectic I'd like to come to some o the events. Yeovil is about 160 miles each way for me.

Regards

Pete

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sun May 27, 2007 9:47 pm

Ah well. Maybe another one :)
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:48 pm

aminorjourney wrote:You'll have to come along to the electrathon on 30th June

:?: What exactly is the Electrathon?

I'm not too far from Yeovil. I might pop along to see especially if there's a group of BVS folk going. Tell me more please.... :?

floydster
Site Staff

Re: My PowaByke

Postby floydster » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi Pete,

Glad to see you're cycling again, it's much more ecofriendly than EVing ;) I love cycling too and find that it's so difficult to start again after any long spells on the couch :)

PeteB wrote:I'm keen to get active again, but found my larger frame didn't go comfortably on my old racing style bike with it's wafer thin saddle (especially with 25 st pressing down on it).

Maybe you could look at swapping the saddle for a specialized one. I've been riding mainly Specialized for about the last eight years and they are very comfy for 12hrs+ in the saddle.

Something like this with the twin cheek option is very popular.

PeteB wrote:I've added Catseye LED lights,

Good move. I find two of these plus a head torch are as good (and last longer) than any HID.

I had my road bike nicked a few years ago and never replaced it. I'm going to buy another through my employer's ride to work scheme but still unsure whether to go for a racer or tourer.

Time for a poll.

What bikes do all you ecowarriors ( :) ) ride?

I have: -

Specialized hardrock - kitted out with rack, slicks and guards for commuting/shopping

Specialized Rockhopper pro disc - used for downhill, XC and long distance on towpaths.

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:06 am

qdos wrote:
aminorjourney wrote:You'll have to come along to the electrathon on 30th June

:?: What exactly is the Electrathon?

I'm not too far from Yeovil. I might pop along to see especially if there's a group of BVS folk going. Tell me more please.... :?

Okay, I will do! There's a new forum topic about it here
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

Return to “Electrically assisted bikes”