Anyone ever taken the back wheel off their Sakura?

Do you own or use or want to build a assisted bike then here is the place for you.
badnewswade

Anyone ever taken the back wheel off their Sakura?

Postby badnewswade » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

Has anyone taken the back wheel off their Sakura 200 or 207? I've got a flat and I'm pretty nervous about fixing it...

Also- does anyone know if the tyres are tubeless or tubed? I assume tubed, but if they're tubeless I really need to know...

Cheers
Andy

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:16 pm

Cant help with the wheel , but I would have thought the tyres are tubed but if there not it shouldnt be a problem really.

Why are you concerned if they are tubeless ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:22 pm

Because I don't know the first thing about fixing those.

I have a 20 inch Slime inner tube, a tube protector and a can of "Seal 'n' Flate" fix and inflate solution. I've finally got the bike up on a chain temporarily, but I can't leave it like that for long.

I'm really worried about taking the back wheel off, don't want to mess up the hub, brakes etc.

Should I just use the Seal 'n Flate and leave it at that?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:28 pm

Ah so you've got a flat then ?? Sorry thought you where just fiddling :oops:

ChrisB

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Unless the flat is really severe you should just be able to fix it in the same way a bicycle tyre is fixed. - you may even be able to do that on the bike.

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:52 pm

But it's got all these mopedy bits and wires and stuff! And I've never owned a moped before!

panics

Is there a shop you can reccomend me that'll do it?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:00 pm

Come on Andy be brave , take the plunge , if you dont have a go how are you going to learn eh :wink:

Top tip , before you do ANYTHING grab a digi camera or even your phone as most phones have cams on them, and take pics of all the rear bits and keep taking them as you take it apart, make little notes as you go as well.

That way you can see how things go back again , I cant imagine it being that hard, and if you do it slowly and methodically you shouldnt have a problem :wink: we're normally here if you do run into any probs 8)

ChrisB

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:31 am

I suppose so; I've now found a massive screw stuck into my rear tyre (must have got in there after I got home) and the Seal 'n Flateâ„¢ has turned out to be a complete waste of time.

What really worries me is all the wierd little screws and deeleys and big silver things stuck onto the wheel and hub assembley, it looks like it's going to fly apart into tiny tiny pieces if I so much as look at it. So if anyone can identify these bits and bobs, and either tell me how to take them apart without destroying my bike or give me the name of a shop that will fix it for me they'd be doing me a big favour, as I am not mechanically minded and there are NO manuals for this bike...

I'm really annoyed because the (a) the terrible complexity of the machine means I'll have to fix it tomorrow (I hate working in the day, the noises that normal people make when they're awake do my head in), and (b) I've just finished the range extender! And- it runs the motor without blowing up! so it's time to test it on the road... gaaaah frustration!

Still I can recruit help from friends who've owned petrol mopeds / motorbikes, I suppose.

I need an emoticon for "terrified", ah, here it is =:-0

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:21 am

Ok, first picture;

That's the rear brake, see; http://www.users.bigpond.com/solarbbq/bandbrakes.htm

Second picture;

There is one of these screws each side. On a motorcycle they would be for tensioning the chain, but since I think your bike uses a derailler type tensioner, they are used to set the wheel straight in the frame. If you leave them set where they are, then you can take the wheel out and put it back without having to worry about wheel alignment.

The 'drop out' plate should be flat.

Third picture;

My bike is just a bare frame lying in the garden, so it's hard to be definitive. The brackets could have several purposes.

Does the stand retract agaist them?

It would obviously protect the motor wiring if you were to drop the bike on it's side.

They might be intended for use with a maintainance stand.
Paul

http://www.compton.vispa.com/scirocco/
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:34 pm

Well - I've done it. Taken the back wheel off, put a new tube in, and put it back on again. Now for the bad news...

I have ANOTHER puncture, of the "do a mile and get another puncture" variety. :cry: I dare say I got the inner tube a millimetre to the right, or put the slime puncture resistant plastic thing inlay wrong. :roll:

Much much worse though; the throttle is busted, broken, beyond repair. It comes right off the handlebar in your hand and when you turn the bike on, it just accellerates.

GaaaAAAAAHHH!!! :x :x

My plan now is:

Wait until I have some money or draw another £100 out of the bank

Find out how to fix throttle and get part for it

Fix throttle

Take off wheel

Take wheel and spare inner tube to bike shop

Get them to fix it - preferably with slime tube and inlay.

(frustrated!!!)

I just want the damn thing working - aren't there any garages that cater?

Return to “Electrically assisted bikes”