Importing from the US

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
NickJ

Importing from the US

Postby NickJ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:41 am

With plans for a new EV project taking shape I wonder if anyone can share experiences of buying stuff from the USA. I have found a number of companies such as Electric Motorsport and EVparts amongst others with interesting equipment and well priced kit. Im not after anyone dishing the dirt on the individual companies :) rather the overall experience of ordering from the states, import duty etc.

Nick

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:21 am

Hi Nik,

A number of our members have bought item's from the USA and I believe there's not been any problems as such, EVGuru has worked on electric race vehicles in the states Greg (living in the UK) is American, Stuart has recently bought and fited some items to a couple of his projects. Basically I don't think it's problematic other than it's a long way for the snail to swim carrying the parts :wink:

Peter Eggleston

Postby Peter Eggleston » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:07 pm

I imported a 9" Warp Netgain motor supplied by Cloud Electric. It was no hassle exept that by the time import duty, vat and shipping was paid, the cost was half as much again.
If you buy privately on ebay it is a good idea to get the vender to undervalue the item on the custom form to reduce import duty. This of course is illegal and also may be spotted by inspectors if an item is obviously way under valued.
Peter

dillond666

Postby dillond666 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:02 pm

I ordered a warp9" and zilla Z1K from evparts and would rate them as very reliable. You can basically add 20% on to the price to cover VAT and import duty. They accept paypal too, which I like.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”