Golf conversion, after a year!

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
EV_dub

Golf conversion, after a year!

Postby EV_dub » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:21 pm

After a year on the road of mostly trouble free driving, I have decided to strip and upgrade my Golf conversion!

Covered 4500miles last year, !

In the summer easily covered 30miles per charge and about 25miles in winter temperatures to 80%dod. Quite pleased with the Trojans, although they did go through a phase of over gassing and stinking! seem to sort themselves out in the end.
Daily driving I mostly kept the amp draw as follows:
Step hills <150amps
motorway 65mph on flat <85amps
A/B roads <70amps

Heres the plan:
higher voltage system,= 156volts, additional 3 trojans
more power!= DCP raptor 1200amps controller
better range,= 30% more capacity
cabin heating system= water heater setup
cold battery efficiency= heated battery insulation

Will be going with a working clutch, left the clutch rod out before, but found clutchless downshifting a little awkward.
I'll add new extra friction clutch disc to help handle the extra torque.

Battery insulation: resistance wire, something like heated blankets.

Cabin heating using original heater matrix and custom hot water system. Fast electric element from mains power switched via remote-control, to quickly de-frost and heat car whilst plugged-in. 12v heater element for heating on the move!

Rear battery rack will be relocated bellow the boot to better accommodate extra batteries.

1993 Veedub Golf, 156v, 1200A, 150ah's

ChrisB

Re: Golf conversion, after a year!

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Well if its anything like the last one then your new improved version will be very interesting 8)

Look forward to hearing all about it.

Re-heating you might want to look at using either a old Bedford electric CF hot air deisel heater or maybe a Berlingo water based unit ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

EV_dub

Postby EV_dub » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:11 pm

The Golf's back on the road for a month now!

The extra 3 trojans bring the pack up to 156v, and the total weight of the car to 1400kg! The original 10 batteries are over 18months old up to around 5000miles and seem to be holding their charge nicely.

The DCP Raptor 1200 controller was a piece of cake to install compared to the Zapi h3d controller.

Fast road clutch is working well, havent noticed any slipping yet!
Lots of power, seems to leave other cars off the line! Got to be nice to the batteries though!!

The most noticeable advantage is the higher voltage system means I'm not zapping so many amps from each battery! A stab at the throttle to accelerate the car up to speed and it quickly sits 60-70mph comfortably at 60amps. Before I couldnt very well dishcharge the batteries bellow 12v (open curcuit) without serious sag under acceleration.

I managed 34miles last trip of combined urban and rural roads with a final open voltage of 11.7v per battery (153v)

I worked it out to about 320wh per mile.

I haven't made any progress with the heating system yet, but at least its drivable again!

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:20 am

Always thought Trojans were good, and your proving it 8)

What would you say is your average discharge from them, it must be close to their C1 rating

ChrisB

EV_dub

Postby EV_dub » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:30 pm

ChrisB wrote:Always thought Trojans were good, and your proving it 8)

What would you say is your average discharge from them, it must be close to their C1 rating

ChrisB

I was basing my figures on the C1 rating divided by miles, but in reality I dont discharge them that deep.

I am not sure my E-meter is set up correct. Before I only had it set up to show current out, not in. Now I have the charger wired across the shunt. But it's only showing 7.5A on charge, although I know its closer to 14A. I'm wandering now if my discharge current has been showing correct. hmmm!

Are charging battery rates the same as discharging? eg.. If I recharge over 10hrs do I look at the 10hr rating of the battery as to how much energy is required to refill it???

When considering how discharged a lead acid battery becomes, are there Voltage charts to give some indication of state of charge. In general I dont let my batteries drop bellow 12v (ocv) and no less than 11.7v (ocv) But what level of charge is left? I cant see how comparing power-in to power-out, due to the resistance in the battery at different currents.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Does this help

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%E2%80 ... mon_usages

Personally one of the best ways with LA's is to take a SG reading, but that can be a bit fiddly.

ChrisB

EV_dub

Postby EV_dub » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Ah thats handy, thanks Chris.

So I can see im am discharging to about 55% DOD at 12v and 70% DOD AT 11.7

so C1 = 80ah*156v= 12480wh 70% DOD= 8736wh
at 30 miles per charge= 291wh per mile
at 34 miles per charge= 256wh per mile

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”