Axima mega city - that works fine?

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
TerraRoot

Axima mega city - that works fine?

Postby TerraRoot » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:28 am

Hello all, I bought this recently,

The vinyl wrap is coming off slowly

Really hard to take pics of the any thing in the motor bay, very tight. Think i have sepex motor?

Just gonna use it for this winter, no crazy mods. even if it really needs it, 60kmh max and thats downhill.

things it needs badly and soon, some instrumentation, the stock dash tells you nothing, so a 500amp ammeter and a voltmeter will be fitted.
not 100% on howto, think i need to install a shunt on the battery ve- side?

and the brakes are terrifying, so a lovely mid winter horrible freezing cold rebuild for those when i find my jack!

jonathan jewkes

Re: Axima mega city - that works fine?

Postby jonathan jewkes » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am

An ammeter and voltmeter would certainly be useful to see what is happening as you drive. In my opinion analogue meters are easier to read at a glance.
I have used meters from Howard Butler (www.hobut.co.uk) who will provide a suitable shunt and label their ammeter with the required current range. They can also provide voltmeters and and will scaleit to whatever youask; they also make them with suppressed zero so that the whole scale is used just for the voltage range you need (for a single 12v battery this would be from about 9.5v, ie virtually flat, to about 15v which would be at end of charge; so just multiply up by the number of 12v batteries in the vehicle).
Jonathan Jewkes
Daily EV user for 10years - an enthusiast and also a realist

TerraRoot

Postby TerraRoot » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:38 am

cheers for the info, i'm looking at a couple of cheap options on ebay, I like this digital gauge but it's a bit small, only 2 inches across.

think my service battery died in the cold last night, i'll have a look next week when my night shift is over.

looking at lithium upgrade, think i could do 48v100ah for under €2000?

Is it ok to keep the charger plugged in on cold nights or should I just lag the batteries?

TerraRoot

Postby TerraRoot » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:07 pm

Breakdown! Axiam build quality provides some entertainment :)

250A fuse seems to have been breaking down for some time

Which explains the glitches I was having with the service 12v, as the dcdc converter got it's power from the same bolt (no service battery, yay!)

Pretty bad!

Random junk I used to get back from town, had my fingers crossed for more speed, but I think that very secondhand scrap of sandpaper didn't quite create a great contact surface

On ebay that fuse appears to be for car stereos? Anyway the insulating block underneath is melted to buggery too, so some re-engineering is in order.

Nice day for a breakdown aswell, too much time in the office.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:20 pm

The fuse was probably over tightened and turned / stretched the open side out then making the contact at the fuse body too small. They should have decent sized washers above and below for proper contact.
Otherwise it was just loose.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”