My EV dream

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
Lazer

My EV dream

Postby Lazer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:43 pm

I want to build an EV that wil stand out, and use it for promoting my business.

During the next year I hope to plan the vehicle, save enogh cash for it and start building it late 2008/ early 2009.

I have no EV experience, but as an electronics engineer I should be able to figure things out with a bit of help.

The budget for the project will probably be around £20,000.

The spec is set quite low (80mph+ top speed, 0-60 of 8 seconds or less and 60 miles or more range) as it will be the styling that will make this car stand out.

The car will be along the lines of the wrightspeed X1 EV, though performance will be lower and styling slightly different, but basically a fun car and certainly not your average family car!

I've already decided on the kit car to base the project on - that will cost around £7000 including the donor car.

Batteries would have to be lithiums due to the space and weight.

I'm not sure about motors (1 or 2) and the size - probably looking at about 100hp? and wouldn't know where to start with the controller.

Starting weight would be around 300 to 400kgs, then probably 300kgs of batteries and the motor(s) and controller could bring the total weight to around 800 to 900kgs - what sort of power motor would I need to get the performance I require?

Any comments greatly appeciated.
Rob.

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:03 pm

You could try a Zest I can garuntee it will get lots of attention.

Let me know if you are interested. The final cost will be significantly less than your proposed spend too :) I've also got another vehicle up my sleve you might well be interested in which will be more sporty

What is the business you are wanting to use it to promote?

Lazer

Postby Lazer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:13 am

I started up my battery business nearly a year ago, still working a regular job as well though at the moment - I need sales to apx. triple to give up my day job. EV's are something I've been interested in for a few years and I figure it could give the needed boost I require to my business (and be fun to build/drive). The style of car I want to build is like nothing else really seen on the roads - there maybe a handful of them in the UK and none are electric.
Rob.

qdos

Postby qdos » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:18 pm

what kind of batteries do you deal in?

Trust me there's nothing like the car we're working on on the roads at all. :wink:

Lazer

Postby Lazer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:35 pm

qdos wrote:what kind of batteries do you deal in?

At the moment I sell rechargeable batteries, button cell batteries, chargers etc. - see http://www.rapidbatteries.com - I'm trying to grow the business as fast as I can without borrowing any money.

The type of vehicle I am looking to build has half the number of seats that the zest has :D
Rob.

andylaurence

Postby andylaurence » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:24 pm

Lazer wrote:
qdos wrote:what kind of batteries do you deal in?

At the moment I sell rechargeable batteries, button cell batteries, chargers etc. - see http://www.rapidbatteries.com - I'm trying to grow the business as fast as I can without borrowing any money.

The type of vehicle I am looking to build has half the number of seats that the zest has :D

How close am I by guessing you want to build a Sprint R? I had a similar thought, but I'd like to be able to carry passengers if I so wished.

Cheers,
Andy

Lazer

Postby Lazer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:46 pm

It's not the sprint R, but is of similar design.
Rob.

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:03 am

andylaurence wrote:How close am I by guessing you want to build a Sprint R? I had a similar thought, but I'd like to be able to carry passengers if I so wished.

Cheers,
Andy

Quite some considerable way off for me. Ours is going to be road legal and seat 2 people. It's very unlikely you'll have seen anthing remotely like it before but I suppose if you took a look at the Renault Spyder you'd be close ish. :wink:

If you'd like to learn more then come down to Exeter on 17th / 18th Nov and you can have a look at the chassis and running gear. We'll be happy to chat more about our plans there.

andylaurence

Postby andylaurence » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:29 am

Lazer wrote:It's not the sprint R, but is of similar design.

Interesting. I've heard of a couple of others. There's the Furore, which uses MR2 running gear. The prototype used two bike engines! There's another one, but I can't remember the name of it now. That has a number of engine options including a 1.8 turbo Audi lump, I think. I've seen a few home built specials too.

Cheers,
Andy

andylaurence

Postby andylaurence » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:40 am

qdos wrote:
andylaurence wrote:How close am I by guessing you want to build a Sprint R? I had a similar thought, but I'd like to be able to carry passengers if I so wished.

Cheers,
Andy

Quite some considerable way off for me. Ours is going to be road legal and seat 2 people. It's very unlikely you'll have seen anthing remotely like it before but I suppose if you took a look at the Renault Spyder you'd be close ish. :wink:

If you'd like to learn more then come down to Exeter on 17th / 18th Nov and you can have a look at the chassis and running gear. We'll be happy to chat more about our plans there.

Sounds intriguing. I'm not in the market for a sportscar, unfortunately. I've just bought a new daily driver. I wanted to go electric, but there's nothing available that will do over 100 miles on a charge and hit 70mph for a reasonable price. Shame, really. I'd like to go electric for my wife's next car. She'll be getting a new one in the new year, I expect. She has moderate requirements. A family vehicle that does 50-60mph, keeps up with traffic, and goes 50 miles on a charge.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”