Low rolling resistance tyres for Berlingo

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
arsharpe

Low rolling resistance tyres for Berlingo

Postby arsharpe » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi,

I need to replace a couple of my Berlingo tyres and would like to replace them with low rolling resistance tyres.

retepsnikrep mentions Bridgestone tyres.

Does anyone know which specific models of Bridgestone tyres are low rolling resistance or any other makes and types of tyres that have similar performance.

I currently do the 'keep to low speed' and 'keep tyre presures up' tips, but would like some free range when I have to change tyres anyway that may allow me to get to my parents without a tow.

Regards,
Rob

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:43 pm

I used Michelin Energys on the Scirocco after completely failing to persuade Michelin to let me have a set of Proxima EV tyres. That's after being assured by the UK head of marketing that I could have them.

The Energy came out very well on rolling resistance in the Which? test, but only in 175/70-13, fortunately just the size I needed for the Scirocco.

This is a problem with all the 'eco' tyres, they're not necessarily good in every size. Actual figures for rolling resistance are almost impossible to obtain and back to back testing would be expensive to do yourself.

Hopefully someone will come up with a personal recommendation.

Personally I would trade off quite a lot of rolling resistance in favor or cornering grip. There's often more energy to be saved through not having to regain lost speed.
Paul

http://www.compton.vispa.com/scirocco/
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:20 pm

Thanks EVGuru.
It sounds like it is even more difficult to make the best choice.

Anyway for what its worth http://www.eco-drive.co.uk suggests "Continental EcoContact3" or "Michelin Energy" tyres.

Peter Eggleston

Postby Peter Eggleston » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:59 pm

I know most people reccommend high tyre pressures fo low rolling resistance, but it also depends a lot on what type of roads you travel on mostly. I travel mostly on oneven potholed roads and after trying high pressures up to 50 psi, I find that I get a better range with lower pressures ie 35 psi and also a smoother more comfortable ride. Smooth motorways I suppose would be different.
Peter

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:56 pm

I had Michelin Proxima on my fiesta which Alan Ward now owns and they where suppose to be the mutts , not sure if they actually made any difference or not to be honest ?? they did seem to be a very hard compound tyre which where not that grippy in the wet from memory.

I'm not sure you can still actually buy them in the UK as when they where fitted to the fiesta they where very much a concept tyre at the time.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

EVan

Re: Low rolling resistance tyres for Berlingo

Postby EVan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:16 pm

I bought Conti ecocontact III for my Berlingo, after my OEM Michelin 'X' tyres finally became illegal. The Contis are a car tyre but a "reinforced" version for MPVs is available, which has a sufficient load rating for the van. The maximum inflation pressure is 46PSI versus 55 for the Michelins (I run them at the maximum).
The range took a small but noticeable hit after fitting the new tyres. I'm not convinced that it's improved since, but I only have about 15,000 miles on them and the tread is still pretty deep.

So, err, that's not necessarily a recommendation but you could probably do worse. The grip on these is spectacular compared to the van tyres though - never lift!

Tom Thomson

low rolling resistance tires

Postby Tom Thomson » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:31 am

If I were capable of operating this computer I would post one of those high-lighted link thingies but I'm not so I won't. Go to Wikipedia and look for "Low-rolling resistance tyres". They have reprinted some results from an SAE paper which gives rolling resistance coefficients for ever so many tires (tyres).
tommyt

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”