Old BMS General Thread

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

centrex

Postby centrex » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:15 am

Hi all
For what it is worth have you guys had a look at this ladies web site.
http://www.idleloop.com/robotics/RAV4-EView/
The display looks very interesting.

centrex

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:46 am

Very interesting Centrex, something for the future!

On to an important announcement!!

Dear All

This BMS thread had grown a bit too large, so I'm am starting two additional threads to run alongside the original one.

This BMS General thread contains all the work/discussion upto 15/06/09

The BMS Hardware thread will contain any new work/discussion related to the hardware

The BMS Software thread will contain any new work/discussion related to the software

I hope this makes it a bit more manageable.

New readers should work through the General thread first until they reach 15/06/09, they should then look at specific hardware/software/general threads for further info.

Thanks Peter
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:17 am

I now have my car back in the garage with all the innards spread over the floor whilst I do the final push, and get the BMS working properly, and cells installed in the rear compartment.

I'll be trying the pulse mode for data later as well.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.

retepsnikrep

Re: BMS General

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks from thursday in case of any queries.

Still tinkering around with the BMS software and have extended the master watchdog time to 2 minutes before a master reset is triggered.

I've ordered a set of 52 x A123 20ah pouch cells on the slow boat from china. Will be interesting to see how they work. Will be a month or more I expect before they arrive

The lifebatt 8ah cells I have decided cannot quite take the insight's 50A regen levels, so to avoid damaging them i'm going to either sell them on or add a current limit to my Insight control system.

If anyone fancies a set of 50 virtually new (December 09) Lifebatt 8ah cells with bus bars and bolts then pm me. They can deliver very high current and are rated to 200A discharge! 50 cells will make a 144v 8ah setup or a 72v 16ah one. Just right for a scooter or recumbent bike project. I only ever used them at 100A max discharge. BMS is not included, I used my own which i'm keeping for the A123 cells.
Regards Peter

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:43 am

All quiet on the western front?

Any progress or updates gents?

My 3 x 16 cell slave board setup is still working fine. I probably should have put some more effort into the software rather than changing my load resistors but oh well. My quick fix worked.
Regards Peter

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:42 am

I need to get motor mounts made for the Matix, the NetGain Impulse9 motor is sitting in position in the engine bay, coupled to the gearbox, on a axle stand, just waiting for me to fabricate some mounts. Then I need to make battery boxes, I've got 144 40ah cells to fit in without taking up any passenger compartment space, although I am going to lose the spare wheel. Once that is all done I can get back onto the bms boards.

Greg
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

steiner

Postby steiner » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:27 am

I have been working on completing the mechanical side of my second vehicle. I am about ready to build version 2.0 of the master. You have several varistors in the schematic. Is there any specifics I need to know to get the correct ones for this application?

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:29 am

Re varistors you could try ommiting them initially if you wish. See if your layout is as suceptible to interference as my effort was. If you are using 16 cell slave boards i don't think interference will be as big a problem as it was with the individual boards and my spiders web of a layout. :shock:

I used some from farnell. The part number is buried in the hardware thread I don't have it to hand.

Try searching on varistor on the forum here. Greg also started a parts list?
Regards Peter

steiner

Postby steiner » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:48 am

I found the data on the varistors...thanks.

Greg....I searched for a parts list on the master board ver 2.0 but didn't find anything. Peter seemed to think you had started a parts list for this board. If you have one I would like to compare it to the one I have started.

Thanks....
Rick

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 am

Rick,

I did a parts list for the 16 cell slave. I did start working on a parts list for a master, but I think it was version 1 and I am not sure where it is. A list for version 2 would be useful, including notes about what not include or what is optional.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

Return to “BMS thread”