Old BMS Hardware Thread

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:30 am

Just built a V2 Master this morning and that seems to work on bench I need to tweak the master code very slightly to cater for a new sv2000.

Found on minor error on the board D6 component ident is incorrect and shown as a normal diode rather than an led symbol. And the holes are for a normal diode rather than the led which means a bit of led leg bending :roll:

I don't think the floating slave pin matters as it is set to be an output anyway in the software.

I think that transistor will be fine.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

retepsnikrep

Almost complete 16 Cell Slave Board

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:46 am

Here is a picture of an almost complete 16 cell slave board with the components reqd for the non picaxe solution, so you will notice the picaxe programming pins and resistors R6 & R7 are not fitted.

I'm just waiitng for a few more v-ref diodes, the bc337 transistors and the 10R load resistors and pics. Programming each pic takes 10 seconds in the programmer :D

www.solarvan.co.uk/bms/16CellSlave.jpg

The board has taken about three hours so far, so I estimate one 16 cell slave board can be carefully built by someone used to soldering in about 4 hrs. I need three

I used slightly different value components for two resistors in my own very noisy Honda Insight application.

I used a 22k resistor instead of a 100k for the vref diode load R5. This higher current is more stable and a little less suceptible to interference I believe.

I also used a 1k resistor instead of a 10k for the slave bus input pull down resistor R4, to enable a cleaner cut off of the signal if I start sending serial data to the pics instead of the simple high/low command I use now. 8)

I haven't noticed any errors on the board so well done Greg, unlike my own Master V2 when a annoying ident error crept through.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.

steiner

Postby steiner » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:16 am

Peter,

Glad to hear things are going well with the multi-slave boards.

I installed your software into a normal pic on one of my slaves but yet I still get the same results "cell error". I don't understand it as it still works correctly with a picaxe. I guess something other than the code is causing the problem.

I was going through some of the old posts trying to get a list of the items needed for the remote monitoring system. On page 6 (Hardware) you have a listing of the items needed. On the preset pot you have a shortcut that shows a 1 Meg trimmer and the drawing I have that is dated 17/08/09 shows a 100K trimmer. Which of these two is correct?

Rick

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:41 am

Rick

Send me a copy of the master code you are using.

Have you also tried the latest Master code I uploaded to the software forum?

Remember the slaves are now working at 9600baud and the master has to be changed to suit that.

Remember my new master code has to be set to the number of slaves reqd in your application.

How many slaves are you testing the code on?

I'll have a look at the pot later i think it's 100k

Peter
Regards Peter

GregsGarage

Re: Almost complete 16 Cell Slave Board

Postby GregsGarage » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:05 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:I'm just waiitng for a few more v-ref diodes, the bc337 transistors and the 10R load resistors and pics.

No parcels from Farnell today. :( I will phone Farnell tomorrow afternon if it hasn't arrived by then.

Greg
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:20 am

Parts have all arrived cheers Greg, and I have finished by first 16 cell slave board. I've programmed three slaves and am currently testing the new code. Seems to work OK on the Master with one serial slave.

I now need some 3.6v cells in series to power the first there slaves on the board for testing. :roll:

It's damn cold so I've wimped out today. :oops:
Regards Peter

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:00 pm

Glad to hear you got everything. I have chased Farnell up about the missing capacitors and should get those Monday, so will post those and the resistors then. Let me know if anything else is missing, I packed it all up in a bit of a hurry.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:17 am

BMS Switch Matrix

I've started using a very nice 5 position minature joystick switch for the BMS control. It has five switches North, South, East, West and centre push. Works nicely. Wired in the same was as the current switch matrix.

http://uk.farnell.com/alps/skqucaa010/n ... SKQUCAA010
Regards Peter

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:19 am

retepsnikrep wrote:BMS Switch Matrix

I've started using a very nice 5 position minature joystick switch for the BMS control. It has five switches North, South, East, West and centre push. Works nicely. Wired in the same was as the current switch matrix.

http://uk.farnell.com/alps/skqucaa010/n ... SKQUCAA010

Now you tell me. :roll: Oh well, have to put that on the next farnell order. Still lots of soldering to do in the mean time. I have made a start on one 16 cell slave board.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz

steiner

Postby steiner » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:24 am

Well I finally found the time to assemble one of my 12 channel multi-slave boards. It is running with conventional pic chips. So far everything seems to be working well on the bench. I am looking forward to connecting it to a 3-1/2" display so I can see all of the data.

Return to “BMS thread”