Old BMS Hardware Thread

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:15 am

You should have that display any day, I sent it five days ago.
Are you using my software or your own?

Peter

Edit

Just finished my third 16 cell board. I now have a three board 48 cell bms stack for my cells when they arrive. I've left the pics chips out at present until final assembly and testing as I'm still tweaking the software and adding commands.

www.solarvan.co.uk/bms/16CellSlave001.jpg

www.solarvan.co.uk/bms/16CellSlave002.jpg
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

steiner

Postby steiner » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Peter,

I am using your slave software. My initial problem with running your software for the slaves had to do with the setting of the configuration bits that you do in the begining of the software. I typically set my configuration bits using a config window during compiling. The code you wrote for the config bits works with the compliler that is included with PicBasic Pro. For some reason mine was using Microchips compiler (PBPL). Once I switched to the PM compiler, everything worked correctly. It got me to thinking about my original code. I went back and inserted your config lines into my original code and it worked. I need to dig into it further to see why the method I was using for setting the config settings wasn't working.

I had previously written the master code for a conventional pic. When I finish my other slave board I plan on going back to look at this code to see if the config issue will fix this one also. Although I must admit I really like the picaxe for the master due to how easy it is to reprogram it. I think the master is probably going to see updates for quite a while as we keep playing with features.

Thanks again for everything.....

steiner

Postby steiner » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:05 pm

Peter,

I received the parts today.....Thanks..

On the display, I know the coax is for vido in, I assume the red and black wires are for 12 vdc. What are the two small orange wires (about 3" long) that are joined to a small connector for? Do you have any tech data on this display?

Rick

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:25 am

No tech data apart from it is an rca colour comp monitor 640x480 display.

The orange wires were an on/off switch. you are right about the others.

It works great with the sv2000 and the master software.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.

steiner

Postby steiner » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:52 pm

Peter,

I am starting to work on the remote data system. I saw a picture you previously posted of the transmitter http://www.solarvan.co.uk/bms/RemoteDisplay002.jpg It shows a resistor and a capacitor but I have not been able to find any reference schmatic for the transmitter. Did I miss it somewhere?

Thanks...
Rick

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:50 pm

The capacitor is just a 0.1uf supply decoupling cap across the supply near to the transmitter.

The resistor is a 1k I believe pull down from ground to the transmit data in pin, you can try it without this first.
Regards Peter

steiner

Postby steiner » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:15 pm

Peter,

I am going to drive the transmitter using the version 1.0 master board (I haven't had time to assemble the V2.0 yet). I remember you connected it via the drive inhibit connecctor. I assume you simply supplied 5 volts to pin1 of the J6 connector and pin 2 was connected to the data in pin on the transmitter. Is this correct?

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:30 pm

Yes, so when the inhibit pin is driven the opto pulls the transmit pin high. The 1k resistor in the previous post pulls it low when opto is off. Try a 330R resistor if the 1k doesnt work. You still need to supply the transmitter with +5v and ground of course as well.

You will have to be careful about which versions of the software you run.

The newer versions of the Master software after V 1.71 are only for the Master v2 pcb.

I'm will be posting some new software for the new boards and non picaxe slaves but this all requires V2 Master.

There is a version of the non picaxe slave software which works with V1 Master I think it was V6.

You will need master software V171 as well which is the last/latest version for V1 master boards and works with the 9600 baud non picaxe slaves.

These have all been posted and are available on the software thread.

If the comms is unreliable at 9600 baud you can reprogram the slaves and master for 2400 baud. However that is a manual process :(
Regards Peter

retepsnikrep

Serial Eeprom

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:49 am

I'm going to add the i2c AT24C512B 128kb serial eeprom chip to the master board v2 shortly.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod ... oc5297.pdf

Just working on the software. I propose to log the cell voltage and/or all the BMS data once a second. The data will start recording at the begining of the eeprom each time the BMS is switched on, overwriting previous data.

So that means with a 50 cell system and 128kb eeprom 30-40 minutes of cell voltage/bms data can be stored before it starts overwriting it. The eeprom is rated for a million cycles (Journeys).

I'll add some commands to dump this data back out via the remote link to a spreadsheet if reqd. Should also be able to use it to work out cell internal resistance etc.

Any other ideas for the stored data?
Regards Peter

steiner

Postby steiner » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:22 pm

Peter,

I think logging the cell data is a great idea. I have seen another system that does this and the most interesting thing I have found is how each cell compares to the others at the same moment in time. Under hard accelerations you could quickly see the voltage difference between your best and worst cell. Time will tell if this is important information or not.

I would certainly like to have a memory location that stores the max and min of each variable that is available in the data during a run. I suppose there will need to be a method to clear this data after each run so that you don't see a max or min condition that occurred on the previous drive. Maybe clear this data during each recharge of the batteries.

Great work by the way.....

Rick

Return to “BMS thread”