Support for Evie cars

Dedicated to the conversion sold by the now defunct Electric Car Company

Moderator: mattcarr

Grumpy-b

Support for Evie cars

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:00 pm

As you know ECC have ceased producing cars and only have a few still under warranty.
I have now reached an agreement with ECC that I will provide support for the "in Warranty" Evie cars, and that I can openly support existing users where that is possible.
ECC do have some spare part stock for which I have some rudimentary listings but a full list should be available to me in the new year after a stock take has taken place. If you need any ECC specific parts do contact me and I will supply them if they are available.
I will be looking at re manufacturing parts as they become needed. First off will be a replacement for the motor coupling, which I will start on sourcing next week. This may well be of a different design allowing some degree of flexibility that may have led to the problems some I know have experienced. I also have the prototype of a 12V battery monitor and DC to DC auto switch, that saves the 12v battery going flat without having to have the DC to DC on all the time, these will be a production item by January.
I am not being paid by ECC to support existing users, but I will attempt to help where I can.
For anyone with an Evie still under warranty, you should still contact ECC in the first instance. The responsibility and warranty is still that of ECC , I will merely be delivering whatever they feel is appropriate.

If anyone needs work carried out I can help and do have workshop space available to me.
for the moment please contact me by email remadeinstoke@gmail.com

Grumpy-b

mattcarr

Re: Support for Evie cars

Postby mattcarr » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi Grumpy-b,

Good news to here that you are taking over the support of the Citroen Ev'ie cars so that all of these cars can be kept on the roads.

Matt

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks
There are some things that can be readily dealt with and others not so simply, some of the parts have some involvement with other companies so there may be issues with IPR etc, but I do think that nothing should be completely impossible to resolve.

I am trying to get involved with as many of the original suppliers as possible with the agreement of ECC. Its in their interest to keep these cars on the road.

I am working on a simple question sheet to help with diagnosing the problems, mainly for existing warranty issues, but could also help with other users.

Interestingly the biggest problems with the vehicle have been caused by owners abusing the packs by deeply discharging, not charging and letting the vehicles stand for a prolonged time.

As I uncover things I will post any guidance for users that may be of help.

It would also help if any users could post the problems they have , however small so I can see if a resolution can be found. ECC have had remarkably few problems.

Grumpy-b

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:34 am

And I think the second biggest issue is owners tinkering with the cars. I was one of them as I managed to blow up the BMS - which was an expensive mistake to make !!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:47 am

On the BMS front.
It is vital that people dont, as you say Tinker without the proper precautions.
They must never just be unplugged.
Inside the metal box are a series of DIP swithches, which must be turned off in a certain sequence, before any removal of cells etc, and turned back on in another sequence. I will post this later on.
The particular chip set does a good job, but is a tad fragile if not treated with respect. I now have the necessary parts to build a test rig for them, but repair may be an expensive option.

Grumpy-b

genawin

Postby genawin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:02 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:On the BMS front.
They must never just be unplugged. Grumpy-b

That's interesting i've unplugged mine at least a half dozen times with no ill effect.
Could you get a copy of the 32 cell "GEL" BMS configurator software ?
P9020002-001.JPG
P9020002-001.JPG (208.38 KiB) Viewed 18381 times

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Its best to be cautious, getting away with it is fine until you dont. Then its expensive.
I cant provide the software as it is the property of ECC, I will however ask if they would be willing to make it available, there are a set of licence agreements between ECC and GEL, both are following them tightly at the moment.
Just a thought, if ECC / GEL wont release it, I think that because there is the danger of people changing settings and making the car undrivable this is a real concern, would a version that would allow you to see whats going on and download the spreadsheet of values and no more be a worthwhile option to pursue?
Grumpy-b

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:47 am

Hi Mart - your BMS board looks identical to mine. I would imagine it probably has the same firmware etc.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:40 am

The only significnt difference was that some had a white and a black socket rather than two black ones as per the photo. The matching plug can be modded to fit the all balck version. There were a few small code changes, but they are basically the same through their life. All the EVIES had the same BMS which is proprietory to ECC.
At the moment ECC are unwilling to release the tools to communicate with the BMS as it can allow changes to be made that would disable the car. I have suggested that a stripped version could be appropriate, but I think they are unlikely to commission a new version of the software.

If its of any interest this is a link to a company doing a gearbox adaptor based on an industrial Taperlock flange and the metal parts of a clutch plate.
http://www.everything-ev.com/index.php? ... Path=65_79

All drive seems to be dependent upon the three bolts holding the plate to the flange.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:02 pm

Well done Grumpy on getting this sorted, are ECC going to make available all the circuit diags, PCB layouts etc for the car, this is normally the stumbling block for all this sort of thing (thinking of the Berlingo here)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “ECCPLC C1 ev'ie”