BATTERY FLUID LIGHT???

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:44 pm

As level as possible/ reasonable. Its just so that the water will drain into and through the batteries, so the more level they are the more even the fluid will be in the battery.

I also warm my water in the airing cupboard, just so its all as expanded as possible when the batteies are charged. Not a requirement though. Just being cautious.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:27 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:As level as possible/ reasonable. Its just so that the water will drain into and through the batteries, so the more level they are the more even the fluid will be in the battery.

I also warm my water in the airing cupboard, just so its all as expanded as possible when the batteies are charged. Not a requirement though. Just being cautious.

Grumpy-b

Yep best get it as level as poss, mine is generally about 3-4 degress nose down purely due to my drive.

As for pre heating the water I dont think its a lot to do with the water being expanded but more so you dont "shock" the batteries by filling them with water that could be at 10-15C or lower, compared to the batteries being at 30C +

Theres some confusion about if you should run each leg out of water, i.e fill the bank of batteries with water until it overflows and then allow the water to drain completely out of the leg before un-plugging and moving onto the next one, and thus not leave any water in any of the feeder pipes etc .

I dont do this, I just unplug and move to the next once about 500ml of bubble free water has overflowed.

BUT leaving water in the pipes does mean if its done during the winter it could freeze.

My thoughts are that the less you wash through the battery the less electrolyte you are likely to lose. In theory you shouldnt lose any electrolyte while filling, but I dont think this is the case, I've checked and found the over flow water does seem to contain some :shock: OK its not a lot but then theres not a great deal to start with so any loss in my book isnt good. So I tend to try and avoid any un-nessesary run through.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

goochmeister

Postby goochmeister » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:12 pm

All done ,just over 800 hrs over charge and 14litres.
Sound about right??
GM.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:03 pm

Yeah about what I use at that Ah may be a little less than I use, but then it can vary depending on how much run through you do once they are full.

May be I use a bit more, but it really does seem to change with driving style / charging style / terrain / and weather.

Remember to take it easy for the first few cycles to allow the electrolyte to get absorbed propperly again as the maint charge can "dry" the plates a tadge, keep the eco meter out of the orange/red and only take it down to 50% the first time round :wink:

ChrisB

goochmeister

Postby goochmeister » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks Chris,
I didnt run too much through after full so I reckon I'm spot on.
Will Keep it to 500hrs in future though.
As for taking it easy.. will do.
As I've said before allthough this is number 6 I have never kept them that long so I didnt bother to read up on them,but this one I plan to keep so I was wondering what the ideal optimum discharge was before I plug her in? This would be purely to preserve batteries as performance is no longer an issue.
GM.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:22 pm

Doesnt really matter that much, main thing is to avoid taking them so low that the yellow recharge/eco light comes on.

Also I'd say dont leave it too long before recharging i.e if you only do a couple of miles every day and say over a period of a week take it to say 50% then its a good idea to recharge it then as I'd suspect they will start to become unbalanced and really do not leave it in that condition for too long.

Generally I tend to recharge at about 30% but then I'll also top it up at 75% if needs must.

ChrisB

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”