Repairs: Brake vaccum being lost

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
arsharpe

Repairs: Brake vaccum being lost

Postby arsharpe » Wed May 30, 2007 6:37 pm

Hi,

I need to address my brake vacuum lose.
The pump comes on for 30 seconds and off for 15, which does not seem right.

Anyway the first test I was going to do was to take the vacuum feed off and plug the end and see if the pump behaves better. That would tell if it was the actual brake servo or the pump+line.

Do you think this is safe to do ?
I am worried that the pump will not have a resevoir to work with.

Or any other ideas, suggestions.

Regards,
Rob

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 31, 2007 8:44 am

Mine currently runs for about 28-30secs with between 3.50mins - 4mins rest period. Seems pretty stable at those timings over a 15min period.

So as you say, yours isnt right.

I've looked and I cant see any reason not to pull the pipe off the servo and plug the pipe with your finger and see what happens, it looks like the vacuum switch is built into the pump rather than on the servo itself as there is no sign of any electrical connection on the servo itself.

Becareful when pulling the pipe off the servo that you dont pull the non return valve out as well, not that it matters that much but it might not want to seal correctly again when you put it back.
Of course it could be that valve thats got a leak on ??

Try just plugging the the vac pipe to the servo first and see what happens, if the pump still runs as much as it does then the leak is closer the pump if it doesnt and holds the vacuum then I'd suspect the non return valve or servo itself ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Thu May 31, 2007 6:51 pm

Well, it looks like it somewhere between the entry to the master cylinder and the pump.

I had a look this evening and spent a while under the car. Well, it seemed easy 25 years old. Not so now (and I have a medical condition which means I have to be careful not to wear myself out). So it's has to go to the local garage. Unless there are any offers from someone that wants a challenge for 10 beers ;-)

So please see wanted vacuum pump reqeuest

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 31, 2007 9:13 pm

arsharpe wrote:Well, it looks like it somewhere between the entry to the master cylinder and the pump.

I had a look this evening and spent a while under the car. Well, it seemed easy 25 years old. Not so now (and I have a medical condition which means I have to be careful not to wear myself out). So it's has to go to the local garage. Unless there are any offers from someone that wants a challenge for 10 beers ;-)

Right Rob , we cant have you giving it to a garage :shock: if your only at Basingstoke and can bear with me I'll pop over and we'll take a peep and see what we can come up with :wink:

Is it causing any lack of braking yet ??

ChrisB

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:19 am

Thanks a lot Chris for the offer.

I am more than happy to accept the offer on one proviso, that it is something that you enjoy doing and have the time for (I know that you are busy;-) ). It's not inconvient to take it to the garage.

It is not a problem at the moment, so is not mega urgent.
However, I will be around Sat and Sun morning if you are free.

Thanks again.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:57 pm

I cant imagine a "garage" even a citroen garage having a clue about a EV let alone an electric vac pump, thats my concern. Their more likey to do more damage than good, either that or blow themselves up :roll:

I cant give you any time this weekend I'm afraid :cry: but if your happy to wait a while and the brakes arnt effected currently then I'll be happy to have a fiddle, cant say I'll be able to actually fix the problem when I get to you but theres a good chance we can track the issue down and work on a repair solution :wink:

ChrisB

Richard Elliott

Postby Richard Elliott » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:11 pm

hEY, WHATS ALL THIS ABOUT BRAKE VACCUUM? i HAD NO IDEA THAT A bLINGO HAD ANYTHING AS ODD AS THAT. aSSUMED IT HAD A NORMAL CABLE BRAKE FOR THE BACK AND HYDRAULICS FOR THE FOOT PEDAL - ONLY MY OLD fORD aNGLIA THAT HAS A VACCUUM SYSTEM FOR ITS WINDSCREEN WIPERS AND MY STANDARD 10 CLUTCH IS VACCUUM OPERATED!

Richard Elliott

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:54 pm

Whey hey Rich take the caps lock off, we're all going DEAF :lol: :lol:

Yep the blingo has a vac pump for the servo brakes , thought you knew that one :wink:

Its a little leccy one tucked down by the drivers side lower batt pack, you can hear it start when you turn on the ignition and will normally run for 60secs or so first off and then cut out , sounds like a little baby compressor . You may not hear it above the whine of the power steering pump :roll: , pull the power steering pumps link out and have a listen and you should be able to hear it then :wink:

ChrisB

Richard Elliott

Postby Richard Elliott » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:58 am

Two and half finger typing results in the caps lock being hit more than it should!!
So, is this strange vaccuum servo arrangement for the brakes just an Electrique feature or a normal Berlingo/Citroen thing?

Richard E

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:07 pm

:lol: :lol: yeah my two finger typing gets a bit wild sometimes :lol: :lol:

Errrrr most cars have vacuum servos, normally the vacuum is taken from the inlet manifold, or in the case of a deisel they need a small pump normally on the back of the alternator and us EV peeps need a little electric one.

Take a peep here
http://www.howstuffworks.com/power-brake1.htm

Due to it being americanised :roll: they call it power brakes we call it servo assisted braking.

Hope that helps

ChrisB

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”