Another one bites the dust

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:32 pm

That was my plan, Jeremy! Using another of GrumpyB's cast-offs. The motor is integral to the drivetrain - the halfshafts pass straight through it - so I think ditching that would be pointless. You might as well start with any other vehicle if you are going to refit a conventional final drive.

Which leads on to the controller. My design was to keep the controller (causing me some headaches with integration) but any 24kW peak Sepex controller could be used.
Tim Crumpton

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:40 pm

I suppose the motor is probably "infinitely" repairable (it's usually easier enough to get motors rewound, new commutators fitted etc) so it makes sense to keep it, plus is may well be the most reliable bit of the electrical part of the vehicle anyway.

From what I've read on here, Berlingo controllers seem to be pretty flaky, but I'm guessing that a standard brush motor controller would drive it OK, and they are easy enough to get hold of.

Sounds like a sound plan to get a blown, but otherwise decent, Berlingo and fit a new controller, batteries etc. Sorting the interface to the rest of the car might be a bit entertaining though!

Jeremy

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:59 am

Sounds ever so much like my first dead Blingo Grumpy.

That too went poof with smell of expensive silicon. I did try and repair it but there was toasted PCB tracks around the field part of the PCB, field controller fet was bust as was the forward reverse relay and a host of other stuff.

Best price I got for a controller then (3 yrs ago) was £800 exchange.

Didn't fix it but sold it as spares and got almost what I paid for it from a "man that new about EV's and coud fix it". Never heard from him again or seen it.

I reckon we should not make the motors go too fast and downhills are a killer with loads of regen amps and big magnetic fields and at hi motor RPM, they just cant cope. Keep below 55 is my stance.

John

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Flying John wrote:Sounds ever so much like my first dead Blingo Grumpy.

Didn't fix it but sold it as spares and got almost what I paid for it from a "man that new about EV's and coud fix it". Never heard from him again or seen it.

Although didnt it did turn up on e-bay 6mths later, and didnt sell from memory :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:49 am

Your memory is better than mine Chris. I would have to dig out all my "seen on ebay" printouts to see.

It only needed a new field board as I had it running with a bench power supply providing field excitation - but the mains lead was too long to go anywhere. :lol:

andersonian

Postby andersonian » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Sounds familiar. Was it on a W plate, light blue resprayed over red?
The Future isn't what it used to be!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Might be, depends whose asking !!!!!!

andersonian

Postby andersonian » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Took a fair bit of work but got her up and running again, and - touch wood - she's doing OK 5000 miles further down the road! 8)
The Future isn't what it used to be!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Well done - I am pleased she is going. The batteries were good ones and she had not been mistreated by me.

Would be interested in how you got her going again.

John

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Whey hey its re-appeared 8)

Nice to hear that anothers running and just goes to show that just cause a broken one appears to dissappear dosnt always means they are rotting away somewhere.

Nice one

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”