Berlingo fluid spillage from middle battery tray.

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
BasilBadger

Berlingo fluid spillage from middle battery tray.

Postby BasilBadger » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:11 pm

Shanon here, posting for my beloved Electrowizard as he makes dinner. :wink:

When backing our little Berlingo out of the garage today, we noticed a fluid on the floor. We believe this might have been electrolyte from one, or more of the batteries because the Ph was around 13 or 14.

The little car was put up on a lift during it's inspection at the DMV, and we noticed that the fluid was coming from a small hole in the middle battery tray.

If it is battery fluid, how exactly do we fix the problem? Does this mean one or more dead batteries? Is the car safe to drive until we get the batteries fixed?

Thankyou for any help you can give.

*Edit - I placed this in the wrong category. Can I get a moderator to move it please?*

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Check the battery voltages and post it on here. DO the whole pack from the controller, check the engine bay battery , the rear and the midle, do the subtraction to get the lower front. You should be aiming at about 6.3(or greater ) v per cell. 6 cells in the rear and front lower, 11 in the middle one and 4 in the engine bay .
If its damaged we can give you simple instructions to getting the battery pack out. Simplest way uses two Trolley jacks, a nice concrete floor and a Pallet truck(as used to move pallets around)

Good luck
Grumpy-b

BasilBadger

Postby BasilBadger » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi grumpy-b

We did a search on your username and found a post where you described how to measure the voltages. Our results were:

Control unit, center cables: 174V

Front top box: 27.11V / 4 cells = 6.78V/cell
Rear box: 40.65V / 6 cells = 6.75V/cell
Center box: 73.20V / 11 cells = 6.65V/cell

Which leaves:
Front lowerbox: 33.04V / 6 cells = 5.51V/cell

12V battery: 12.42V

Seems to me that we have one cell dead in the front lower box and one or two dead elements in one or two cells in the center box, right?

Wifey took some pictures when i measured, i'll post them later.

All the best,
Henrik

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi the lower front looks like you have at least one duff cell. The centre one is looking ok. have you checked the coolant levels, perhaps try and catch some of the fluid if its still coming out. Just because the voltages are OK it doesent mean a cell isnt leaking. Looks like you have a bit more investigating to solve the leak.
PM Me if you wish to discuss .
Grumpy_b

BasilBadger

Postby BasilBadger » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Would a single dead battery and a couple possibly dead cells also explain the EOC light turning on at around 80% charge? -- Shanon asking.

We did capture some of the fluid earlier, and the pH is 14, so it looks like it is battery fluid. The coolant has a pH value of 7.0 and I'd expect battery electrolyte pH to be around 14.

The coolant level looks ok, btw.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:20 pm

A single failing cell with the voltages you have noticed wouldnt generally bring the light on ay 80% I had three partly duff cells and mine wouldnt come on until 60 to 40% depending on loading.

Since you are losing something from the centre box, I would suggest removing it and checking all the cells. Thats a complete removal of all the cells from the crate and visually checking them for leaks / holes and individual voltage checks. Ideally you need to do a voltage check after some loading of the cell. Such as briefly connecting a normal car starter to the cell and immediately seeing what the voltage goes down to and how it recovers afterwards. A cell may look OK at no load and fail badly when loaded. Note the type of cell (Marked D or G) that is duff.
With the middle box checked do the same for the front box. Then at least you know what cells you need to get to sort the problem.

Grumpy-b

BasilBadger

Postby BasilBadger » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi Grumpy-b (love that nick!)

OK then, out all the batteries come. GAWD I have to get us a lift soon.
I had planned to check the packs anyway. Since the car was cheap (£2500) I have been pretty sure that there was plenty of expenses coming.

Wonderwife has decided to install rear seats, so while she goes to work on that. I'll get rigged for battery testing.
I believe we have what I need for testing the batteries. Should i take the time to shoot pictures for a "how to" article on the subject while i'm at it?

We might have a lead on getting cells here in Denmark. He wants to know if they are D or G cells.. What is the difference? I have not come across any mention of that anywhere yet.

I'll pm you also. But we might as well let some of the conversation continue here for others to read.

All the best,
Henrik & Shanon

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:45 am

Hi Henrik and Shanon

Have moved the thread :wink:

Feel free to carry on chatting all info/experiences how ever small on these vehicles may be of use for folks in the future.

Sadly it does sound like you've got a melted cell in the center pack :cry: not a lot you can apart from change it.

The "D" or "G" cells are which way round the positve or negative connections are, it will be stamped on each of the battery which is which and once you have got them out you will see straight away the difference.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

BasilBadger

Postby BasilBadger » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:53 am

Shanon posting again, I just got a car lift for my Electrowizard and have decided it's a better and safer idea to wait to remove the batteries until we have the lift installed. It'll be a few days at least before we remove the batteries and see what is going on in there.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:42 pm

Remove the fuses to the front , centre and rear packs. Disconnect the 12v battery.
First remove the rear battery connections, all water and the power. You will hen have to either disconnect the hand brake cables at the wheel ends or I prefere to disconnect in the Van. To do this you have to remove the back half of the centre console. There are two screws at the rear side of this cover and the drivers side is achieved by moving the seat forward and the passenger one has a hole in the fixed base to get to the screw. Its easier with a Torx screwdriver than the fold out pack of assorted size blades. with the cover off the hand brakes cables can be un adjusted with a 13mm spanner and lifted free. I find this easiere than taking the brake drums off etc.
Disconnect all the centre pack power and water. The coolant hoses need the simple metal clips removing, dont lose them they arnt easy to get. I do have some spares but really hang on to them. The metal / plastic tray has to be disconnected by undoing the 10mm nuts that hold them to the fuel tank tray and the underside of the Van, pull the whole lot out the way so you can get under the vehicle. Be careful not to get dirt etc in the hose ends. Before you try to undo all the Torx bolts (You only have to do these on the centre pack not the bolts as well) and drop the batteries check each bolt individually that you can get it out. I have had a number that are really hard to remove. That way you havnt got the pack supported in a precarious way with one stubborn bolt hanging it into the van. Good luck. WIth the front lower pack, this is plain sailing, just remember to remove the pipe clips holding the pipes to the clips on the top front of the pack, if you dont these will get ripped off when you lower the pack from the van.

Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”