Berlingo fluid spillage from middle battery tray.

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 am

BasilBadger wrote:We might have a lead on getting cells here in Denmark. He wants to know if they are D or G cells.. What is the difference? I have not come across any mention of that anywhere yet.

Hello Henrik and Shanon. Glad you joined us!

SAFT is a French company. The G and D cells are identical except for the position of the terminals, as Chris has said. D for Right Hand (Droite) and G for Left Hand (Gauche). There are 3 of each in the front lower crate. I suppose there must be 13 of one type and 14 of the other, to make the full 27, but I don't know which is which. I caused myself unnecessary headaches when I removed all the cells from my front crate, as it would be possible to put the whole lot in backwards, effectively reversing the polarity of the crate upon re-connection. Make a note before you take them out!

Good luck with tracing your fault.
Tim Crumpton

BasilBadger

Postby BasilBadger » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the welcome, we are glad to be here, for sure.

And thanks for the "heads up".
It is mistakes like those i'd much prefer want to avoid.
Droite, Gauche.... I should have guessed that.

We are cutting up the floor of the workshop at the moment. To cast a sturdy foundation for the lift.
It turned out that the floor was cast on an uneven bed. Making it only 10cm thick in some places. I asked a friend, who is a concrete caster, for advice. He came around with an ultrasound thingie to test the floor. No go, was the verdict.
He drew up a foundation for me to cast, steel reinforced and all.
Better overdo it, since he would be using the lift too, he said :lol:

We'll be back,
Henrik & Shanon

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:57 am

I had leak from my rear pack on the last watering, but did get out flow from the watering tube so I didnt worry too much. I have now taken out the pack to check it out, and on first impressions all was OK, all the pipes were intact. On a closer inspection taking off one end of the interconnection tubes and rotating, all were Ok . on turning the straight bank to bank connection, the problem was revealed. The straight pipe had split at one end and when pulled off, the split ran along the whole pipe. I have spares that appear to be of a different rubber, so problem solved.

Look closely and check by removal or turning over all the connections. I have spare tubes if you need them. They arnt available from Citroen/ Peugeot.

Regards
Grumpy-b

BasilBadger

Postby BasilBadger » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi Grumpy-b

Thanks for the "heads up"

They are getting old those Berlingos. At least old anough for the rubber to deteriorate. I found the rubber bushings in the back suspension need replacement. Likewise I suspect the front will need a going over too.

It would be nice to get look at the inside of the battery boxes. Could i persuade you (or anyone else) to post a few pictures of the insides. Especially the watering hoses... Pretty please...

I thought it would be possible to make the watering hoses myself, according to the battery manual they arent that special. Unless, of course, they have to be cast in shape.
In the MR-MRE technical manual the watering hoses are specified as Elastomer EPDM (“all rubber”, without internal reinforcement)
And the recommended dimensions for sleeveless connection to monoblock nozzle is: Ø-inside 9.4 ± 0.3, Ø-outside 14.1 ± 0.
That kind of hoses should be easy enough to get. Also the manual mentions polypropylene elbows for very tight bends.
I have seen stuff like this before.

All the best,
Henrik

PS: Wifey's Blingo has been named: Heart of Gold.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:35 pm

BasilBadger wrote:It would be nice to get look at the inside of the battery boxes. Could i persuade you (or anyone else) to post a few pictures of the insides. Especially the watering hoses... Pretty please....

Theres a fair few pics from my battery change thread HERE scroll down and there are some close ups of the center crate with its lid off.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

BasilBadger

Postby BasilBadger » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:19 am

Hi ChrisB

Thanks!
I guess i should have rummaged the forum for somewhat longer :oops:

Seems to me that i should be able to make the watering harness from fresh hose. I'll know soon enough.

All the best,
Henrik

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:00 am

The hoses are all moulded into shapes, some of the curves are quite tight and bending straight hose isnt the best option, I do have spares for all the pipes if you need any.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:01 am

Yeah I might add that thread to Robs sitcky FAQ as its quite handy to see the internals

Yeah should think you'll be able to make up pipes fairly easily :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

BasilBadger

Postby BasilBadger » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:41 am

Re-hi,

Thanks Grumpy-B, it is comforting to know there is a source if we need the hoses.
I'll try to get some EPDM hose in the right dimension to see what it is like. There is a good chance that the same supplier also has external supporting elbows too. I have used those for setting up laboratory equipment, to avoid kinks in tight bends.

All the best,
Henrik

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”