market value of a electrique with dud battery

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
mab

market value of a electrique with dud battery

Postby mab » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:04 am

I was wondering what a 'reasonable' price for a berlingo / 106 with knackered batteries would be?

I see from searching the forum that there have been battery conversions to lithium (at least one completed), but I was thinkng it may be a relatively cheap & staightforward way to get a useable EV by converting to lead acid - assuming I could still use the motor, it's contoller, the battery charger and I could get the donor vehicle at a reasonable cost.

I was wondering what the experts views on this idea are?

cheers
mab

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:05 pm

Tricky to say and also it would depend on how many batteries are shot in the pack, it would be better to replace the duff units and get either a berlingo or 106 back running on the nicads.

The internal charger isnt really set up for Lead Acid and I suspect would end up over charging them.

Do you have a source of battery dead berlingo/106's ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

mab

berlingo

Postby mab » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:20 pm

hi Chrisb

No, I just see them now and then on ebay, etc, and the prices seem to vary a lot.

it would be better to replace the duff units and get either a berlingo or 106 back running on the nicads.

From what i've read on this forum I thought replacement nicads were either too pricey or in short supply?

mab

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:20 pm

PSA themselves seem to favour Zebra for the vans now. Wonder if you can convert an older vehicle?

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:44 pm

I would like to know more about this rejuvenated Berlingo. The Venturi website is quiet about the motor/controller used. Is it the same Leroy-Somer/Sagem setup we are all using, or a complete redesign?

Smiths, Modec and Steve Green have all had problems with Zebra. I don't know the specifics but it maybe vibration related as the batteries were originally designed for submarine use, as I understand it. Can anyone correct me, or explain where Zebra got their thousands of road miles from?
Tim Crumpton

mab

price for a berlingo

Postby mab » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:19 pm

OK, though the Zebra battery is basically a lithium battery, yes? and (i assume) expensive.

so, if one comes by a berlingo with dud batteries how much would it cost to source 'new' NiCds? £1000s?

Or - how much would you expect to pay for one with good batteries? (I suspect this would be the cheapest option - if you can find one)

maybe I should go back to plan A (convert a ICE vehicle), but I've done an engine conversion before and know there's always more work involved than there appears to be at the start. :?

mab

ChrisB

Re: price for a berlingo

Postby ChrisB » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:49 pm

mab wrote:OK, though the Zebra battery is basically a lithium battery, yes? and (i assume) expensive.

so, if one comes by a berlingo with dud batteries how much would it cost to source 'new' NiCds? £1000s?

Or - how much would you expect to pay for one with good batteries? (I suspect this would be the cheapest option - if you can find one)

maybe I should go back to plan A (convert a ICE vehicle), but I've done an engine conversion before and know there's always more work involved than there appears to be at the start. :?

mab

Whoooooa there :wink: no the ZEBRA isnt a li-ion at all, have a read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molten_sal ... RA_battery

They are amazing batteries, although somewhat tricky to keep working it seems due to them needing to be @ 250C :shock:

As for berlingos then trying to get new batteries these days is a no no, although Evan did have a new or new'ish pack for sale some time back, best you can do is locate other broken berlingos and obtain the good cells from them to keep one going.

I ended up going down that route when my batteries expired due to the fact they where pre 2000, ended up buying a second van with duff controller / motor just for the batteries.

These guys sell berlingos http://drivelectric.com/used_berlingos.htm and do apparently repair recondition battery crates, although when I asked it seemed that the service was more designed to be aimed at folks that had bought their vans :?

Berlingo prices go up and down more than a yo-yo :lol: must admit I havent watched any recent e-bayers, but I've seen good working ones fetch as little as £2000 to non runners going for over £4000 :?

The key is to find a nice one at the right price and get in there quick.

ChrisB

mab

zebra batteries

Postby mab » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:01 pm

Oh, OK, I'm not sure, now, where I got the idea that they were lithium!

hmm, well there are obvious drawbacks with a battery that operates at that temp - though at least you'd have a source of instant heat to demist your windows :lol: . I suppose it might be good if your using the vehicle every day - otherwise the cost of keeping the pack warm may offset the enviro advantages of electric.

I do feel a bit wary of buying a vehicle without a reliable source of replacement batteries though - I guess if the price is right it would be worth the risk.

but I've seen good working ones fetch as little as £2000 to non runners going for over £4000

That sort of explains the variability I've observed; I'll just keep looking and see what turns up.

thanks for your replies.

mab

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Treated with care the Berlingo batts will go on to cover 100'000 miles (pre 2000 types)

So buying a van with just 20-30k that appears to be OK and you then keep the watering very regular then it should be fine for many many years to come, generally the motor or controller will go poof before the batteries do :roll: :lol:

The main thing is to take it for a good test drive to verify the range.

ChrisB

timpootle

Re: zebra batteries

Postby timpootle » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:32 am

mab wrote:... at least you'd have a source of instant heat to demist your windows :lol: . I suppose it might be good if your using the vehicle every day - otherwise the cost of keeping the pack warm may offset the enviro advantages of electric.

You don't get any heat out of the box - it is all sealed, and you will never know what the real capacity of your battery is because the plated capacity refers to what you get out of it; the heating cost is hidden. What you say about using the vehicle regularly is valid, though. If let to cool down they become harmless and inert, but require some time (30mins? 2 hours?) to get back to working temperature. This will be a saving if you lay up your vehicle over the winter, for example, but no use for popping to the shops twice a week.

All in all, an interesting technology if properly deployed.
Tim Crumpton

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”