Range falling

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Andy B

Re: Range falling

Postby Andy B » Tue May 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks Grumpy-b.
I've got a mate who has access to his works garage at weekends, we'll get it up on the ramp to make it easier.
I assume it's just a matter of loosening the box bolts, supporting the box,removing the bolts then lifting the van up?
When cells go like this is it likely I'll see anymore deterioration if I keep using the van, because up to now I'm getting by with charging at work (unofficially :roll: )?

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Here Grumpy-b we should start a sweep stake on how cells have gone :-)

Andy B
I would say there is probably more than one gone in the center box and one gone in the rear box.
Our thoughts are with you on this as most of us have "been there".

>When cells go like this is it likely I'll see anymore deterioration if I keep using the van

I have been wandering this myself. Thinking about each cell experiences exactly the same conditions as the other cells. Batch, current, watering times, etc. So I would guess that once one goes then the others soon follow

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue May 04, 2010 8:23 pm

When one cell goes and reduces the pack voltage the only way of delivering the power required, for saya quick acceleration is to draw more amps. more amps puts stress on other less than perfect plates and so on. If you use it keep it in the green and definitely dont go into the red.
The packs are heavy the middle one is going to go something like 170kg. They need good support when getting them in and out, I personally wont do them off the top of a trolley jack. Others do as they have no choice.
You have to take out the hand brake cables, do it from inside the van, take off the centre console rear half there are holes under rhe pasenger seat to do this. Its much simpler than taking off the drums etc .
Look after the single wire clips that hold on the coolant pipes. Dont lose them.
Be careful undoing the cable Torx screws in the fuse blocks, and do them up securely when you re-assemble.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue May 04, 2010 9:23 pm

My battery change thread is here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79

It wasnt the safest battery change TBH :shock: but it did the job, do remember the berlingo is very stiff and doesnt bend like normal vehicles do when you jack them up, we very nearly had a bit of an issue as you'll see in one of the pics :shock:

The center pack is the hardest to get out and takes the longest, it took us 4hrs Friday evening, all day Sat and all day Sunday to remove all the batts from two vans and then replace one pack back in the good van.

Take care of the weight, the voltages and the possible over spill in the watering lines of the electrolyte when your taking it all apart.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Wed May 05, 2010 6:28 am

Grumpy-b wrote:If you use it keep it in the green and definitely dont go into the red.

Obsolutely agree. I never go into the red purposely, even when down to 25 mph on steep hill never go more than mid-orange. I really don't think you get much more benefit than max green.

Andy B

Postby Andy B » Sat May 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks for your help guys, two duff cells in the centre pack and one in the rear, now all moved to the rear and an email fired off to Evan.

I get the feeling someone had been there before me, a couple of the pipes hadn't been seated properly into the metal protector and had been squashed a bit (OK just a bit oval now) and one of the good cells I moved from the rear pack had a black mark on it just like a small blast but no damage and no damage to the cell it was beside :?

Is there a date on the cells?
I couldn't see one, only the pack covers which correctly says 2003.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat May 08, 2010 5:19 pm

Andy B wrote:Thanks for your help guys, two duff cells in the centre pack and one in the rear, now all moved to the rear and an email fired off to Evan.

I get the feeling someone had been there before me, a couple of the pipes hadn't been seated properly into the metal protector and had been squashed a bit (OK just a bit oval now) and one of the good cells I moved from the rear pack had a black mark on it just like a small blast but no damage and no damage to the cell it was beside :?

Is there a date on the cells?
I couldn't see one, only the pack covers which correctly says 2003.

Good work, the battery date is moulded into the top of the filler cap of the battery.

Sounds like one has gone pop before in that rear pack, hence the burn mark.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”