Batteries for Berlingos, or run with a ION or I-Miev

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
sunandwindy

Batteries for Berlingos, or run with a ION or I-Miev

Postby sunandwindy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:41 pm

I've considered several Berlingos, all of which need battery replacements. I'm wondering what's the best way forward (without spending a fortune) with battery replacement?

If I am forced to spend a fortune, I was wondering if I should consider a Peugeot ION 5dr Auto or a Mitsubishi I-Miev 5DR AUTO (these seem to be around the £10K) to get a newer vehicle with a reasonable set of batteries.

What would others with more knowledge and experience do?

The aim is to have a vehicle capable of achieving a road speed of around 50mph (due to having to use 'A' roads), a range of around 45miles and to easily carry two persons and a wheelchair.

Thanks for any replies :)

highend

Re: Batteries for Berlingos, or run with a ION or I-Miev

Postby highend » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:56 pm

not all Berlingo have battery problems :)
I got some which are OK, and still are OK ;)

imiev/iOn/c-zero is perfect choice (I drive an iOn - so I could recommend), but I'm not sure if you could fit a wheelchair, maybe test first folding backseats and putting it in trunk space ?

anyway to compare these two in short:

- iOn/iMiev, perfect for city, shopping, fast, small - easy to park, not expensive now, users report no problems,
brushless engine, Lithium batteries...

- Berlingo Electrique - old technology, DC Engine with brushes, NiCd batteries proven to be good for 60.000-90.000miles if treated with care (driving on green in ECO meter, regular watering), not fast, slow going uphill, but lot's of space (wheelchair no problem)

For your needs - a GOOD example of berlingo would be ok, 50mph is no problem on flat surface, range 50miles no problem with good batteries, quite comfortable, much bigger space inside than iMiev, and cost much less.

Well... for one iMiev you could buy four or even five Berlingos at current prices I think.

sunandwindy

Postby sunandwindy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:27 am

highend wrote:not all Berlingo have battery problems :)
I got some which are OK, and still are OK ;)

I think you must tell me where your obtaining all these Berlingos, as the only ones I've seen, all have battery issues :( I assume you've not had to source new/replacement batteries?

Due to my location, electric vehicles are like hens teeth, yet I do have two hens and I can honestly say neither have teeth! Any vehicle I see advertised (fleebay :( ) is usually a minimum of a four hour drive, so not easy to view any on a whim.

I've been keeping my eye out for local non electric versions of the ION I-Mev to test the backs for wheel chairs, but again its like looking for hens teeth.

What a depressing post, sorry.

Someone brighten my day please?

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25 am

I have a number of Berlingos all with failing batteries, I am in the slow process of conversion to Lifepo4. The batteries are the most serious cost. I hve had spares for the std Berlingo Nicads, but have ended up spending most of my time changing failing cells. Most of these vehicles are now over ten years old, and have many miles left in them, but not with Nicads unless you find a set of low age cells that have been well looked after. I have seen as many duff 2005 battery packs where poor maintenance has seen them off as OK 2000 sets.
I live in a rural area and with mixed travel I have never (Even with really decent sets) been able to get more that about 40 from a charge. If I drove very gently at 30mph on the flat then maybe I could have got 50 . Life and our roads are not like that.
Adding Lithium can either increase overall storage, and range, or match the original set with a slightly higher voltage. The latter is a much cheaper option and could potentially give you a 50 mile range. This would of course drop off over time. A conversion is cgoing to cost between £8.5k and £11K or upowards depending on what storage you were to go for.
I have a Multispace that I built from a new shell (Wouldnt do that again) and something like that would be perfect for you. I also have a van that has had seats and all the windows installed, so again something along those lines would do you. But to buy and convert you are looking at nearer to £10k even with the lowest capacity battery pack.

Another optionn would be an Audi A2 conversion, I have just been pricing one for a customer, and excluding the cost of the initial car (Sub £2k on ebay) this would cost about £15k.
Lots to consider. Used prices are coming down, Leafs are starting to appear at the Car auctions, one of them would be more than capable of holding a Wheel chair. The other consideration is the Renault Van with which you lease the battery pack. There are some good deals on these at the moment from Renault.

Good luck with your deliberations.
Grumpy-b

highend

Postby highend » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:51 pm

I've got two 03-reg Berlingos (one from UK, one from Ireland) - both had less than 12.000 miles on the clock.
Both have range between 50-60 miles, and after Balance Charge I even drove 70miles with one of them :)

So I think it all depends on mileage and how batteries were treated. I think age of batteries does not matter (unless they're post 1999-year) - but usage & servicing.

Lately I got some Berlingos from scrapyard which were parked for over 5 years there.
They charged OK and batteries seems to be OK.

NiCd's could be stored (best in empty state) I think forever ;)

So if you buy vehicle which was treated well that means:
- driven on green in ECO mode
- watered regulary
- when not used - kept discharged
- tested up to 50-60miles range

You could be pretty sure then that it will work well for up to 60.000-70.000 miles or more with original batteries.

But buying Berlingo Electrique to find a good one is a challenge. Those vehicles were mostly in companies/universities - other organizations when were new - and problem is nobody knows how they were treated by them. I think many of them have problem with batteries because they didn't knew how to use them properly. On youtube you could find movies where somebody is "testing" 106 electrique from 0-100s and guess what? acceleration max, eco on max red. Very bad idea!

I have learned that in my experience with those cars and that's only my opinion.

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 am

My Blingo has always done low fifties for mileage. 'I' have never driven in the red unless really needing it. Short times on steep hills etc and I generally keep to 40 mph. It came from Westminster Council and was the van that did all the disabled access and door knob jobbies, so I assume it never went far. My neighbour here on the Isle of Wight who owns a cheese factory has just had a new Renault electric van. Strangely with ten plus years of development behind it, 40 miles and 55 mph is about the best it does. No better at all than the old Blingo. I find this surprising. In their position it does work for them as the business justifies the 'rent' on the batteries. From my point of view as a retired leisure type user, the battery lease would not be a viable expenditure. I fear it could easily be more expensive than a small petrol vehicle, which rather defeats my objectives. I like to be green, but not at silly expense. JC

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:29 pm

chatwindows wrote:My Blingo has always done low fifties for mileage. 'I' have never driven in the red unless really needing it. Short times on steep hills etc and I generally keep to 40 mph. It came from Westminster Council and was the van that did all the disabled access and door knob jobbies, so I assume it never went far. My neighbour here on the Isle of Wight who owns a cheese factory has just had a new Renault electric van. Strangely with ten plus years of development behind it, 40 miles and 55 mph is about the best it does. No better at all than the old Blingo. I find this surprising. In their position it does work for them as the business justifies the 'rent' on the batteries. From my point of view as a retired leisure type user, the battery lease would not be a viable expenditure. I fear it could easily be more expensive than a small petrol vehicle, which rather defeats my objectives. I like to be green, but not at silly expense. JC

Bizzare isnt it, going back even further the good old Bedford CF from the 80's had a range of 50miles and could do about 60mph, so much for progress :roll:

Although the new Li-ion stuff thats coming along is showing promise

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:28 am

But you no longer need something the size of a small bungalow and able to carry a ton of batteries. SO we have made some progress. But the costs have risen enormously, for the batteries, but at least you dont have to change them every few years.

It such a difficult play off between weight cost and range, and something most people would be happy to drive.

Grumpy-b

sunandwindy

Postby sunandwindy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:35 pm

sunandwindy wrote:I've been keeping my eye out for local non electric versions of the ION I-Mev to test the backs for wheel chairs, but again its like looking for hens teeth.

What a depressing post, sorry.

Someone brighten my day please?

I think I've been looking at the wrong cars, can someone please advise the exact models of the ICE versions of the ION and I-Mev please?

Thanks

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:51 pm

In response to Grumpy's ref to the Beford CF's. A longtime friend was working at Lucas at the time. He recalls the day they decided to show the 'world' about range. They loaded the old CF with loads of Lucas spares in cardboard boxes, but in fact the lower layer had got batteries therein, wired through the floor to the original bank. Off they set down the M1 and all of the motoring press were invited. Although the old van trundled on a around 35 mph the majority of press stayed the course. The old CF got to the Girling plant on the North Circular and honour was satisfied. Another occasion in the winter, a new driver approached Hockley Fly-over at rather too high a speed. The CF started to slide and carreered sideways across the road hitting the kerb on the inside of the island. The weight of the old dear just folded all four wheels at right angles to approach and there she sat on the grass, on her bum. A crane had to be used to pick it up to fit new wheels. Great days.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”