Clunk

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
chatwindows

Clunk

Postby chatwindows » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:14 am

Hello boys and girls.
I am awaiting some batteries at the moment to cure my charging light coming on early, however, I have another query. My Blingo has always sounded a bit like a milk float upon starting off. Just a slight muted clunk as the drive takes up you understand. I assumed that because of no 'engine' noise it was normal. I hasten to add there has never been any problems. Just lately though I'm sure the clunk on both take up and slowing down is more pronounced. Before I panic and start ripping gearboxes and drive shafts apart I wonder if anyone can shed any light or perhaps offer any advice. I am only doing short local runs these days and as we live in the wilds there is a lot of lane work. This means lots of slowing down for corners and the like. Any advice will be welcome.
JC.

highend

Re: Clunk

Postby highend » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:53 pm

is 12V battery in good condition? pls check that first...

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:20 pm

'Reply to highend'. The clunk is not electrical. It is clearly from the driveline. It never drops the contact out, as in the clunk when you switch on. I'm not sure if the 12 volt battery would influence the symptoms that I have, though I may be wrong of course. I will in any case do a check for the battery is about three years old.
You can make it clunk whilst driving by merely easing off the drive, and then accelerating again. To be honest, It sounds a bit like a worn keyway on a shaft, if you get my drift. I didn't know if there was such a thing in the driveline.
Thank you for your concern.
chatwindows. JC

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:25 pm

You've checked the gearbox oil regularly ? they dont hold much and if any leak out it could cause issues.

The clunk could be a number of things from sloppy CV joint to something in the suspension worn.

Try bunging the hand brake on and then see if you replicate the clunk, then get someone outside and see if you can track the noise down to one side or the other then look further to see if you can see whats moving that shouldnt.

Of course dont go mad on throttle just enough each time to produce the clunk .....if it does.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for that.
I had left my van with a friend whilst I went to Australia. He took it to the Citroen agents due to the water light coming on. (he was not going to use it, but fell in love with it) They gave him a big bill for a full service including the gearbox oil (2 litres!! of 'gear oil') I suspect ignorance is bliss and now wonder if they even knew where to check it. It's only the bloody cold that has stopped me from getting out and under to check it. I did wonder???
Hey Ho, wheres me coat, I'll check it myself.
Thanks, John.

highend

Postby highend » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Also You could lift both front wheels up and check that. I've got sometimes strange noises but they were from driveshaft.

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Good idea that. Now why didn't I think of that. I'll do it in the morning whilst the sun is shining.
JC

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:19 pm

chatwindows wrote:Thanks for that.
I had left my van with a friend whilst I went to Australia. He took it to the Citroen agents due to the water light coming on. (he was not going to use it, but fell in love with it) They gave him a big bill for a full service including the gearbox oil (2 litres!! of 'gear oil') I suspect ignorance is bliss and now wonder if they even knew where to check it. It's only the bloody cold that has stopped me from getting out and under to check it. I did wonder???
Hey Ho, wheres me coat, I'll check it myself.
Thanks, John.

But ...but..but...but ...but ...but it only holds 0.5 ltr :?

One has to wonder if they knew what they were doing, did they top the batteries up correctly for starters :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:04 pm

As I threatened, I found a nice day, well morning really, and jacked the front end up. Before taking the wheels off I checked the back-lash. There is some but it appears to be inside the housing, nothing wrong with the shafts in view. I then checked the gear oil. It took about one small yellow oil can to bring it up to overflow. To be honest, it is slightly quieter, but the clunk is still there if you are careless. I find myself driving accordingly now and avoid the clunk. Don't really know what else to do about it other than a removal and strip down, which I am loathe to do. By the way, there is no sign of any oil leaks at either end so I assume the top up was probably the first one it's ever had. Including the 2 litre Citroen agents claim. Charlatans!
Happy New Year to you all.
John.

berlingoian

Postby berlingoian » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Any more clunks?
I also have intermittent, ie when careless, clunking....

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”