More Belingo van troubles , charging not intialising ?

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
jamesingram

Re: More Belingo van troubles , charging not intialising ?

Postby jamesingram » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:02 am

harry morris wrote:secondly pull the two traction fuses from each battery pack and stick your volt meter in the BATTERY connections ( NOT THE HEAVY CABLES) and write down the voltages from each pack, this will show any weak packs, if you have a shorted cell anywhere in the packs the battery voltage will rapidly go up to 200 volts or more and the vehicles computer will shut the charger off !!!

Hi Harry thanks , so got hold of the EVlite ,
pulled fuses , tested across fuses 11V and 85V with ignition on , this isn't what you meant though is it. Where are the 'battery connections' do I need to take off the large cover behind traction fuses ?

Anyway tried a maintenance charge , ran ok for 30ish minutes then dropped out(charge11% went up to 21%) .
EVlite froze .
disconnected EVlite, fuses, lead and will now try again.
EVlite showing 193V -13(15)A 3 21% P 2.7(3)kW 0Wh (in brackets fluctuating between 2 figures)
After 18 minutes cut out again
now showing 188V 0A 3 26% P 0kW 0Wh
Repeated and cut out after 9 mins.
188V... 29% but EVlite not locked out, pump buzzing , maintenance charge menu showing * still, but not charging

harry morris

Postby harry morris » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:50 pm

MMMMMM GRUMPY is your best man for tech stuff I have to say he is our number one on the BLINGO, however glad to here you have an evLite, first thing have you got a copy of the instruction manual on the evLite ? ime sure one of our clever members will be able to send you a copy through your computer I believe it is called downloading, sorry not computer literate, there is stuff in the manual that you need to read, one of which is clearing faults !!!
Now then there are TWO fuses ( actualy ONE is a fuse and the other one is a SOLID link )
behind the aux battery, you need to test the the voltage of the PACK itself (nothing else) so put the volt meter on the part of the fuse that goes into the pack (NOT THE HEAVY OUTER CABLES) this will give you THAT packs voltage, I know its a pain but write it down.
If you can get the front of the van up on ramps or a trolly jack ( ramps are better ) the front LOWER battery battery fuses can be got at, these are a little bit tricky as the fuses are BEHIND the battery pack but the same applies pull them out and do the same check with the volt meter, (write the voltage down) now the centre pack this is even trickier, you need a long wire from ONE of the fuses, this is because ONE fuses is on the right hand side of the van and the other is on the left, these are easily seen by either putting ramps under the back wheels or jacking, again just as a reminder only take voltage reading from the side of the fuse that enters the battery itself NOT THE HEAVY CABLES and finaly the REAR pack, the two fuses are easily seen behind the bumper, you know what to do now !!!
Under the bonnet on top of the controller is a large square plate with TWO screws in it, you can remove this BUT BE CAREFULL THERE IS 180 VOLTS HERE OF DC CURRENT WHICH IS DANGEROUS KEEP METAL OBJECTS WELL AWAY, pull the two traction fuses from behind the aux battery to make it safe, To test the TOTAL pack voltage put your volt meter on the TWO centre heavy cables RED and GREEN with the fuses in and this will give you the total pack voltage. Now then FRONT TOP BATTERY PACK nominal voltage 24 looking for 28 ish fully charged, BOTTOM FRONT PACK nominal 36 volts looking for 42 volts ish, fully charged, CENTRE PACK (this is the known troublesome one) 66 volts nominal looking for 77 volts ish fully charged, REAR PACK nominal 36 volts looking for 42 volts ish fully charged.
Run the van get the batteries as low as you can, and then leg it round all the batteries and see if you can spot the weak pack, im'e convinced this is the problem with your van, cheers HARRY MORRIS.

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Harry,
I've a printed out, EVlite user manual 13 pages mainly just dealing with basic description and maintenance and initialisation charge, watering the batteries and battery care etc.
Thanks for the info re. fuses , I've only found the ones under the bonnet behind the aux battery.
"put the volt meter on the part of the fuse that goes into the pack (NOT THE HEAVY OUTER CABLES)"
sorry for being dumb, do you mean on the tags that the fuse pops into , left or right fuse ?, across these tags I got
11V/85V L/R.
Thanks for the warning re. 180V DC . I install solar PV panels so am use to working and testing up 500VDC/16A . Also 3 phase AC etc., but will heed your sensible advice.
If the EVlites showing 188V at 26% charge doesn't this seems about where it should be ? therefore pack are ok ??
thanks again and cheers for any further pointers :D

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:36 pm

To check the separate battery pack voltages.
1. Take the cover off the control unit and measure the pack voltage on the middle pair of large cables. Note it down
2. Behind the 12v battery take out the Fuse and Barre (French word) on the set of contacts away from the cables (ie in the middle) measure the volatge. Note it down
3. Go to the back of the Van, on the drivers side and remove the fuse and barre from the back pack. Again measure the voltage on the side away from the cables leaving the battery pack. Note it down
4. Call in the help of a friend. Just in front of the rear wheels on the battery pack is a fuse on one side and the barrre on the other. Again on the side away from the cable on both measure the voltage across the middle pack (thats easier with two of you) Note it down.
Put all the fuses and Barres back. and the coover to the control unit.
You now have the required voltages do the calculations.

Overall Pack voltage- front pack-back pack-middle pack= lower front pack.
Take each reading
Top pack divide by 4 =?
Lower front and rear divide each by 6 =?
Middle pack divide by 11 =?

This will tell you what the average voltage of each cell in each pack is.
Now use up some of that power drive it, and repeat the exercise.
Post the results here.

Grumpy-b

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:53 pm

cheers GB, will do Saturday morn.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:36 am

You could take voltage from lower front battery directly, but its a real pain to get to and personally I hate getting excessively dirty or wet or having to jack the van up.
A bit of maths is easier than taking the voltage directly.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Sorry havent been about much, but still in old person looking after mode :(

I presume you have checked the 12v Aux battery, theres many reports that the 12v can cause all kinds of weird stuff to happen IF its not very well.

Just a thought ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:35 pm

It's Sunday and sunny at last some free time to measure voltages :D

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:14 pm

@ 23% charge
controller middle pair = 175V
Top back = 26.1V /4 =6.52V
Back DS = 37.8V /6 =6.3
middle = 71.7V /11 = 6.52

front bottom 175-26.1-37.8-71.7= 39.4 /6= 6.56V

off for a quick drive
Last edited by jamesingram on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:57 pm

took it down to @3%
For some reason limiter didn't kick in ?? has done in the past , though I've only dropped it below 20% twice since in the last 9 months I've had it. Seems to point to some management/cpu/contoller problem at a wild stab in the dark ??
so
controller middle pair = 162.2V
Top back = 24.2V /4 = 6.05
Back DS = 35.1V /6 = 5.85
middle = 66.9V /11 = 6.08

front bottom 162.2-6.05-5.85-66.9= 36 /6= 6V

So rear pack 0.15-0.2V average down , Is this enough to show battery problem ??

12V battery seems fine , all lights etc. work fine and bright.
Just to repeat, was getting 38-40 ish mile on 80% charge and all running fine prior to charging issue
Still running fine just dropping out of charge after 3-10 minutes . Not noticed any jump in voltage at drop of point on EVlite screen.
edit: so now slightly different , charging initialising then going up to 3kW input then straight back down (no voltage surge on middle connectors for overall pack at this point ( 166-169 seen) , does this several time them charging drops out, but no need to remove pack fuse to reset, just disconnect 240V and reconnect to repeat process. Getting 240 Vac at end of leads under main cover.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”