More Belingo van troubles , charging not intialising ?

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
jamesingram

Re: More Belingo van troubles , charging not intialising ?

Postby jamesingram » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:58 pm

anyone point me to a thread on how to take the segam controller out ?
I presume take all dc fuses out , disconnect 12V battery , dead test.
remove to plate , disconnect all dc / ac leads etc. disconnect scart like lead .
undo large screws around unit the lift off ??

How that , anyone like to add or give me a quick pointer list
thanks
James

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Not all the screws, just 4 big bolts, one at each corner. The "scart" plug pushes itself out from one end as you lift the metal lever.

You need to disconnect the liquid cooling pipes too, one at each side. I don't recall losing too much antifreeze when doing this; maybe someone has done it more recently can remember. Pull out the metal spring clip, then the pipe will lift off.

You don't need to take all the fuse/barrettes out either; just the first and last, which sit directly in front of the controller.

And obviously (I hope), don't have the charging lead plugged in when you take the connection cover off, as there will be live mains in there.
Tim Crumpton

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:56 pm

thanks Tim

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:10 pm

Left = Drivers side of vehicle, right = Passenger side
Front = front of van, rear = rear of van
Pull the fuse behind the 12 v battery. Disconnect the battery leads.
Disconnect and remove the 12v Battery. 10mm socket screw on clamp to left of battery.
Unscrew the heater unit (two or three 10mm head screws) and hold to the left.
Use a 13mm socket and remove the front bolt to the left front end of the controller. Put at least one screw back in the heater mount.
Remove also the bolt behind the first one holding down the 12v earthing tag as well.
Use 13mm socket remove the third mounting screw to the right side front, it also holds a cable mounting bracket that can be pushed to the right to give access.
Remove the two hoses. Look for the two ends of the wire clip spread then apart and push into the pipe while pulling the hose. If this fails push both ends of the clip apart and use a screwdriver to prise the hose end off. Dont put it at the point of the hose end where the clip goes through. DO it on the solid part. Look at it first, you will understand. Plug both pipe outlets on the controller with rag.
On the right side of the controller lift off the Black relay box, it has no clip just slides. If tight remove the plugs by pulling the red clip to the end this pushes the plug out. Tie the box to one side out of the way.
Remove the multiway cable/plug from the calculator on the end. Move the clip on the top to the back of the car, lift the whole plug up and back, its tight and the small nib has to be got out of the small slot at the front. It has to be angled up at the rear enough to clear the front terminals, dont force it other than up at the back.
Using a Torx driver set, undo the top cover.
Mark the 6 large cables with tape or pen (Or stamp the metal lugs) 1 to 6 .
Using a 13mm socket remove these and tie back well away from the path the controller will take coming out.
Using a torx driver remove
The two connections at the front for the 12v supply. Remove the cable, note it should clip under the front plastic moulding not get squashed under the top cover.
Remove the two leads to field coils. Hold the cable aside
Remove the three mains connections and hold the cable aside.
Lift the drivers side of the unit up and out of the car while moving the left side away from the heater.
Struggle manfully and remove the unit.
You will now apprreciate why you put the rag in the pipes, as you would have by now been wearing some of the coolant.
Put all the screws and nuts onto the controller and put the lid on
Reverse the procedure to re-install, and remember to top up the coolant, keep the lid on the rad when you first turn on the ign as it will spit water out.

Grumpy-b

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:...Struggle manfully and remove the unit...

*applause* Good write-up there, Grumpy. Yes, 3 bolts not 4. My memory failed me.
Tim Crumpton

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:36 pm

I try.
Thanks

Grumpy-b

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks grumpy ,perfect description .
"keep the lid on the rad when you first turn on the ign as it will spit water out"
yep just found that out the hard way.
So highend just tried swapping my charging unit with one of his that should've be working. We switched the computer from mine into it. Unfortunately no luck, EVlite giving very strange high readings and still not initialising , so on the next visit we'll try a good charger and computer.
Excellent help from highend thanks again.

One thing he did spot was the coolant for the batteries was very low. No sign of leak externally so he mentioned potential problem with coolant leaking into the cells unseen and then being pumped round damaging more batteries.
Any threads on this as I think I need to investigate and sort it if necessary before he's in the UK next.

cheers Jim

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu May 01, 2014 7:31 am

Look closely at the bottom of the radiator, they tend to leak very slightly not enough to drip but enough to lose volume over time. Its a pain to take out, so use a mirror and a torch to get a good look, or even take a photo.
If you were losing water into the cells its likely that you would see an overflow from the battery watering overflow/ vent tubes. Only solution is to inspect the watering whole system. Worth checking the connections to the battery boxes, as sometimes the internal seals of the couplings can leak
Grumpy-b

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:31 pm

So got a recon sagem unit of Highend , thanks again :D
Initially my 12V battery was duff ( though it's been fine as I tested it previously , but as it's been sitting some time I think I left it connected, perhaps the dc dc link killed it with my flat drive batteries.)
Got a new one
So after fitting sagem with highend seemed to start charging fine.(drive batteries showing 50% though really 0%) we got voltage up then tried driving back and forth , worked ok.
left it as busy.

Tried charging it this Saturday whilst at work . It charged up from 50% to 90% then stopped (as you mentioned I think highend) so as it was really at 0% not 50% at charge start I presume it's really at 40% ??
but for some reason Orange ECO light was on and (battery temperature showing 61 deg. ) Battery coolant level currently stable

Tried driving it, got click , got drive/reverse light on but no movement .
orange ECO light still on. temperature still showing 60 ish So removed drive fuse and 12v and left .

Tried again this evening .
No ECO light temp showing 40 deg.
Drove up and down drive several time , seemed ok but slightly sluggish .
Tried charger again. Charged for 1-2 minutes then ECO light came on and stopped charging at 91%.
Still drove up and down drive ( with ECO light on) , temperature at 50ish .

moved some stuff around with plan of giving it a quick run round the block , tried to start it , go click , drive light etc. but no movement , temperature showing 61 deg ( 182V then 179V after click ). Fiddled about a bit , no change so pushed it back up drive. :cry:
will try again tomorrow

What's the expected battery temperature range/ limit ? Any idea why the ECO lights on . Could this be related to higher temperatures ?

cheers James

highend

Postby highend » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:19 pm

so as I replied in priv: you need to change or (temporary) fool battery temp sensor (with resistor)

located under bonnet in 4-pack battery box on right side, there is connector.
simply unplug it and try charge/drive then - see what temp evlite ishows..
you should get also cooling fan running all the time with sensor disconnected (as it thinks that battery temp is hight).

eco light is normal when temp reading is 61 deg :D - prevents to drive to save batteries when they're HOT ;)
but of course this is not the case - they're probably same as outside temp.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”