More Belingo van troubles , charging not intialising ?

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
jamesingram

Re: More Belingo van troubles , charging not intialising ?

Postby jamesingram » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:30 am

cheers Highend , any idea why it's happening , wasn't an issue previously ?

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:16 am

Thats the likely problem, the temp sensor will go wrong and give the high temp value. It uses an oddball thermistor value, in the sensor. Try a 2 to 3k resistor in its place. If it has gone I do a recon of the device (I have some apropriate components) using your sensor, or I can supply on exchange, but I do charge a very high deposit. I had one as a spare but never got the old one back. Not a helpful move on the purchasers part.

Grumpy-b

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:40 pm

Yep , just whipped the plug out and no ECO light now. driving up and down the drive again
:lol: Hurrah :lol:
Evlite reading 35 deg. No fan though ??
I presume the 2k resistor will bring it down to where it need to be, degree wise?
So I'll give it a bit more charge , then gently drive/run it down , then go for a 2nd full charge . perhaps maintenance charge on the 3rd though EVlite says water counter only around 200 ish
So running without battery temp sensor risks over heat , how likely is this ?

thanks again.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:54 pm

Without the temp sender the battery circuit has no fan. Soit will get hot under charge and you do stand a chance of over cooking the cells, especially in warm air temps. But on a short charge especially if done in the cool of the morning may not be such a risk. DOing a full charge will get the cells too hot. You have to remove the top battery to get to the sensor.
You could put a potentiometer on the cable end and use it to turn the fan on and off.
Dont whatever you do, do a maint charge without sorting the fan out. You will over cook the battery pack. It deliberately puts a lot of power in the pack to heat it and with no coolant flow the cells in the middle pack will get vey hot. DONT DO IT.
Grumpy-b

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:42 pm

cheers . I'll put sorting sensor nexted on my list then

highend

Postby highend » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:48 am

jamesingram wrote:cheers Highend , any idea why it's happening , wasn't an issue previously ?

No that issue previously was not temp sensor as you already read it using evlite.

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi ,
So I just got the temp. sensor out and it seems to be reading ambient temp. fine , currently 25 Deg C
I tried heating it up with a hair dryer whilst running a charge . It went up to 45+ Deg C then the charging cut out.
Pump still running though . Cooled it down below 50 ish , charger kicked in.
No fan though , any thoughts ? how and when should this turn on ?
What if temp. sensor is reading ok . Perhaps hot batteries ? Cooling circuit problem?
As mentioned before coolant was very low , but is currently stable ( not used it much since charge control change 15 mile max)
thanks again for any thoughts.

ps. showing 35 deg C with temp. sensor disconnected. no fan either. I'm thinking fan problem now. will check

highend

Postby highend » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:07 pm

try to connect cooler fan directly to 12V if it works at all... maybe fan need replacing?

I think Jeremy (GrumpyB) will know more about fan problems...?

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 am

The fan motor has a resistor in the housing a round black object with mounting screw ears, with an alloy can inside the housing. I have seen these melt . This is caused by the fan getting very tight, they have very simple bearings. The current can get very high and hence the resistor finally fails. My Multispace no longer has the original fan but has one from a audi TT that fits perfectly, its two speed and the lower speed works a treat at a substantially less current than the original. I also used a separate fused feed from the 12v battery, via a relay to control the fan so taking load from the controller.
To get to the fan you have little choice but to remove the front bumper cover, and its a pain to get off, but you can then get to the fan , check its supply voltages and if possible give it a power feed and see how much current its drawing. If its at all stiff in rotation then thats a good sign that its probably overloading. The resistor can melt the housing.

Grumpy-b

jamesingram

Postby jamesingram » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:59 am

fans spinning out , I get a 12v feed to it and test it . thanks for your advice

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”