pallet truck method of battery removal

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
berlingoian

cause of damaged battery...?

Postby berlingoian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:43 am

[img]URL=http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/clumphillian/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0391_zpsb6c6aa68.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s378/clumphillian/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0391_zpsb6c6aa68.jpg[/img][/URL][/img]
With reference to previous posts and whilst waiting for a new one...
I'd like to know what went wrong

Grumpy-b

Re: pallet truck method of battery removal

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:47 pm

This is caused by a failure of the separator layer in the cell. Which means that under load the plates have touched, passing a lot of current through a small part of the plate, which in this instance is close to the side and so has melted through. Nothing you can do about this type of failure. If the electrolyte is low and the touching of plates occurs above the electrolyte level, then you get sparking igniting the hydrogen, result, explosion which sounds like a toe tecter boot kicking underneath the car. I have had cells with a hole in that you could put a fist through.

Grumpy-b

berlingoian

Postby berlingoian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:51 pm

That's a relief to know that it was just bad luck and not abuse, thank you, and the cracks and hole in the case, where top joins side, part of same problem I guess.
What should I expect to pay for a reasonable part used battery?

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:30 pm

cracks at the top suggest internal pressure suggests explosion suggests exposed plate, so probably melted case first then ignited remaining hydrogen when electrolyte escaped.

Last ones I sold went for around £125 but a new one (if you can get them) are e600

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:cracks at the top suggest internal pressure suggests explosion suggests exposed plate, so probably melted case first then ignited remaining hydrogen when electrolyte escaped.

Last ones I sold went for around £125 but a new one (if you can get them) are e600

Grumpy-b

From memory and front what I learnt from Evan its not so much a hydrogen ignition but steam explosion, the plates short and you suddenly end up with it discharging 200ah in about 0.5 sec, this boils the electrolyte in less time than you can say bang and blows the top off the battery, certainly thats what happened in my van the first time round :cry:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

berlingoian

Postby berlingoian » Thu May 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Well all is well since hyend turned up with a fresh battery.
Simply put it all back together and built up the distances and charges.
Now better than ever. Thank you all fir yr support
:-)

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”