Topping up procedure

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Rory166

Topping up procedure

Postby Rory166 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:00 pm

I have been trying to find comprehensive information without much luck. Was there an instruction manual with the EV Lite? I seem to remember it being said that there is a correct order to filling the modules? Where is the overflow that shows a module has satisfied all cells?

I understand that a 12 hour maint charge is required before watering. I have started a maint charge this evening so will see what gives in the morning. As the van has been stood for a couple of years it seems sensible to water before trying to use.

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

harry morris

Re: Topping up procedure

Postby harry morris » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:36 pm

Rory166 wrote:I have been trying to find comprehensive information without much luck. Was there an instruction manual with the EV Lite? I seem to remember it being said that there is a correct order to filling the modules? Where is the overflow that shows a module has satisfied all cells?

I understand that a 12 hour maint charge is required before watering. I have started a maint charge this evening so will see what gives in the morning. As the van has been stood for a couple of years it seems sensible to water before trying to use.

Rory
Yep, good lad doing a maint charge, the vans computer will continue to PULSE the pack for 72 hours after the charge has finished, you will need a large plastic container and the special connector that fits onto each of the fillers, your gunna need about 20 litres of distilled water, the procedure must NOT be interrupted once started.
When the maint charge is finished an orange add water light will appear on the dash, at the end of the maint charge switch off and disconnect all leads etc, now you must complete the watering procedure within 30 minutes or you will have to do it all again !!!!
You will need to suspend the large filler bottle from the bonnet latch and start filling from the right hand filler first, keep the bottle full of water until you see under the van water pouring out of the overflows, when you disconnect the filler the water supply will stop, one of our clever members will be able to do a download of the evLite manual for you, hope this helps, cheers HARRY MORRIS.

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks Harry. So you start from the right. I assume that is right when facing the connectors stood in front of the van? I have got 25 Liters of de-ionised water ready so hopefully that will be enough.

The batteries as far as I know have not been charged for some years. If they were Lead Acid they would be dead for sure. Ni Cad are more tolerant I think.

harry morris

Postby harry morris » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Rory166 wrote:Thanks Harry. So you start from the right. I assume that is right when facing the connectors stood in front of the van? I have got 25 Liters of de-ionised water ready so hopefully that will be enough.

The batteries as far as I know have not been charged for some years. If they were Lead Acid they would be dead for sure. Ni Cad are more tolerant I think.

Yep, that's right as you look at them first one on the right, if the batteries were ok when the van was first laid up then they might come back to life but will take several easy drives and BALLANCE charges fingers crossed !!!! make sure the AUX battery is WELL up to scratch all following waterings must be done at 500 amp hours, best of luck, HARRY.

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:14 pm

OK 500 Amp Hours. There must be a cumulative figure on EV lite so I not that and water after adding another 500 to the count. It will be interesting to see the total after 90,000 miles.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:35 pm

It realy does not matter which order you do them in. Be methodical and do left to right or right to left. Dont worry about where the water will come from as it will be really obvious when it does. But back is at the back, front top and front are in front of the motor and central left and right are in front of the rear wheels. Normally 10+ ltrs is not unusual, but note what each pack takes, I use 1ltr bottles with the water in and count the empties, it all happens so quickly that theres little time to mess around with writing it down. But do note what each pck takes and post it here. Bleed the air out of the filling tube before you connect it and try not to let the reservoir get empty / an air bubble, its not the end of the world if it does happen.
Unplug the charge before watering and do it within 30 mins is the advice.
Reset the water , but check after you have done it, as sometimes it does not reset, just keep doing it until it works.
Dont forget to check the brushes, always a good practice to do it when you water. I tend to go for about 2 to 3000 miles which puts you well under the 750hrs that Citroen reccomend. If you need them I hold brushes in stock.
Grumpy-b

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:29 am

Grumpy

I will definitely take a set of brushes when I next see you. I have yet to read up on how easy it is to check them.

The watering went OK but the flow stopped on the last 3 nozzles. I carried on and then when I went back the flow did eventually resume which was a relief. I assume one of the fillers had somehow jammed and then freed itself or there was a blockage which shifted.

Luckily Evan sent me an EV Lite manual in time so I had all the info. I must post that on FAQ.

Still not sure about the supposedly shorted out battery, Evan denied any involvement on his part. I got 176 V after charging and 172 V later, is this the normal voltage?

The Van is coming on Nicely, I am touching up a couple of small surface rust patches and looking for a rubbing strip for the side door. Then a few short trips to start building up the battery after so long unused. Is mine the highest mileage Berlingo at 90k?

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Check the separate pack voltages, I know Ive posted how to do this on the forum more than once. Fully charged, and when the eco light comes on or before you charge it after a decent run. Check the voltages straight away after a run as they recover fairly quickly. 172 is Ok considering they have just been charged to over 8v each cell. The lack of flow was probably an air lock caused by too little water in the cells. Use it a short distance and recharge. As some of the plates will have been uncovered if the water was very low. Its normally better range the charge after a maint charge if its very low on water. You dont say how many ltrs you used.

Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”