Citroen BERLINGO

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
harry morris

Citroen BERLINGO

Postby harry morris » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Help, rebuilt dreaded centre pack, drove 6 miles well pleased, went for short trip 1 mile to shop, returned to van switch on turn key CLUNK and then nothing blue smoke from offside. Viewed from drivers seat, various switching on off NOTHING any ideas anyone? cheers HARRY MORRIS.

highend

Re: Citroen BERLINGO

Postby highend » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:59 pm

hah, got same thing today :(

One Berlingo not driven (sat). Checked 12V battery and drove it a little (to remove it from parking place) . All was OK. Drove forward and back just fine, a couple of meters.
Went for dinner, came back and wanted to drive it back more. Put reverse, and then heard knocking from motor, then blue smoke from under bonnet so immediately turned it off. Symptoms were knocking as like "something is stuck" and clicking - definitelly from motor. Also smoke was from motor. When removed fan and rubber it smelled (a little).

Now Berlingo drives ONLY forward, not in reverse - but besides that all is OK (drives forward normally).
Took controller to another berlingo and also second one won't drive back.

So the problem is 100% controller damage (drives only forward) but probably also engine(?)
I don't want to risk another controller to put it in that one blingo and try to drive it back. So it will probably blow another controller.

Luckily I know a man in Poland who will repair controller for very good price, but what is the problem with knocking/blocking motor?
Tomorrow I'll check the brushes. Maybe they're short and made that damage?

Quick look at commutator - seems fine. Also when driving forward it drives normaly (smooth). Damn!

So when I put it in reverse it got damaged controller, went blue smoke and that's all ;)

Any ideas?

So Harry Morris - you have same problem (drove a little just fine, went for something, came back and blue smoke). So all I can tell you Harry is that your controller is definitelly damaged, and when you try putting another one - you risk to damage it also.
Damage is in traction section of controller - and it is definitelly repairable. We got same problem, just in mine still works when driving forward.
And yours turn on but won't drive front/back? Blue smoke was also viewed from drivers seat (RHD Berlingo)

harry morris

Postby harry morris » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:26 pm

Well thanks HIGHEND, at least you relplied to my disaster, today SATURDAY I removed the controller and took the top off to see if I could see any burnt wiring or components but there's nothing, not even a smell of something that has burnt !!!!! so I am not convinced that it is the controller but I am willing to learn, all that hard work rebuilding the dreaded centre pack and the rear pack with your excellent batteries and it lets me down with something else.
You say you have a man who can repair our controllers, we USED to have our own guru who knew everything about our beloved steeds MR EVAN TUER but he dissapered off the face of the earth and no one knows where, he used to repair our controllers at reasonable cost. So what do you estimate would be the cost of sending our controllers to your POLISH friend ? Cheers for now, HARRY MORRIS.

highend

Postby highend » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:51 am

The smoke was from engine. As it was in mine Berlingo too.
Controller is sealed so smoke is not possible. It will be damaged in traction section. Burnt traces, etc.

Remove controller and check if it works in other berlingo. I did that with mine yesterday
and found that controller is damaged as second Berlingo also don't drive in reverse. When I put good controller it drives both directions.

First you need to find out what happened to motor then you can put another (or repaired) controller.
You will risk damaging another controller if you want to try it now.

That guy who repairs controllers in Poland is moving to.... UK ;) because his son already lives in UK.

So it will be easier to all of you and more difficult for me to send him unit for repair.
But he will move in around half year (he needs to sell house in Poland etc.....).

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Probably worth disconnecting the field coils connections (and sepex coils) and checking for insulation issues. On these the separate field coil shifts the magnetic field in the motor allowing it in effect change the timing, I dont know if this may also have an effect on the reverse control.
May be related to IGBt damage but they are sealed in the controller. (also obsolete I believe Evan got me some from the US 5 years ago)

Grumpy-b

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:26 pm

harry morris wrote:You say you have a man who can repair our controllers, we USED to have our own guru who knew everything about our beloved steeds MR EVAN TUER but he dissapered off the face of the earth and no one knows where, he used to repair our controllers at reasonable cost. So what do you estimate would be the cost of sending our controllers to your POLISH friend ? Cheers for now, HARRY MORRIS.

I had an email exchange with Evan recently. Cant remember where I got the address. Was it his website?
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

harry morris

Postby harry morris » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:33 pm

Hello there, you say you have had contact with EVAN !!! this guy is the absolute top man with our beloved BLINGOS without him the CITROEN and OTHER P S A vehicles is going to die and I don't mean maybe, he is fantastic and I wish I could contact him somehow, but is web address alas brings NO response, here's hoping, cheers HARRY MORRIS.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”