Just got a 2003 Berlingo Electrique (with problems!)

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
willfromsussex

Re: Just got a 2003 Berlingo Electrique (now won't start!)

Postby willfromsussex » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks, I was only going on data from https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/c ... ue#!newreg

Just took it out again, charge at 35%. When i accelerated the charge lamp and limiter lamps came on and i could see it restricting the power on the gauge. It was still doing up to 30. Got to a hill about half a mile away and it would only do 20 , then 10, then 5, gauge now at 25%. Turned round and headed back home but it made it half a mile at a snails pace before finalling giving up, yet the gauge was still on 25%, any thoughts? Got it towed home and it is now on charge. Total mileage on this full charge .. 30.

Maybe a maintenance charge / top up water would help a little?

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Depends when it was last done, what you describe looks like a duff cell. How many hours on the meter, and /or how many miles since it was last maint charged?
If I have a vehicle that is unknown with regard to maintenance, then I will water before I maintenance charge. But I fully charge first, as soon as full charge is done, I water, but with very warm water (I leave 1ltr decanted bottles on top of my AGA overnight). Then do the maintenance charge. Why? Well if the cells are very low then you wont get a full charge into the cell as you may have exposed plates, the plates also get hot and can get damaged . Against is that some of the electrolyte can be pushed out during the maintenance charge as it gets hot. I have not seen this, but I dont water cold cells and dont put cold water in.
Look through the past posts, im sure there is one on the easy way to check cells, and possibly even a spreadsheet to help.
I do have a few usable previously enjoyed cells. They cannot be sent through the post.
Grumpy_b

willfromsussex

Postby willfromsussex » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:18 pm

HI Grumpy, not sure what you mean by hours on the meter, and I've no idea when maint charge done, no history with this at all. Mileage is 34,000 which I think is quite high for the type of vehicle.

By the way, I put this on charge , Kw meter on my plug measured 3kw. About 4 hours later energy meter on dash had gone from 25% to 97%. KWh usage of mains was 8.1. Something tells me the cells are not giving full capacity, as this should be a 16kwh pack, although not an exact science I would expect if anything more than 16kwh to be consumed to charge the pack from 0 to 100% due to thermal losses etc.

Whereabouts are you?

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:24 pm

The evlite and Lexia/planet log the over charge hours, The watering light comes on at around 750 hrs from memory but I have always recomended that around 2000 miles or about 500 hrs is safer. You can also use the evite and Lexia/planet to reset the hours after you have watered the pack.
Ask the seller when it was last maint charged, or I can as I will be emailing her tomorrow evening about one of her other Evs

willfromsussex

Postby willfromsussex » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:13 am

Thanks, I presume you saw it when it was on ebay then. I didn't know she had more than one! I get the feeling she hadn't had it long so probably didn't do any work on it .

willfromsussex

Postby willfromsussex » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:07 pm

Any special instructions for getting Lexia / Peugeot Planet to talk to the Electrique? The only thing I can get a response from is the webasto heater, which I didn't even know would be hooked into the obd2 system.

doopercoupe

Postby doopercoupe » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi the Berlingo I purchased had similar symptoms. Try this, connect up an eVlite diagnostic tool and read what the ECU thinks the battery temperature is (Mine read 71 degrees) even though they were at ambient temperature so I disconnected the battery temperature sensor, it's on the right hand side of the battery pack behind the charging unit in the engine bay. This is a standard PSA plug that twists and falls out like a bayonet fitting, you will find that there is 2 wires soldered into the PSA wiring. This will default the ECU to reading 35 degrees then try again, if it starts and runs there is something wrong with the sensor. Don't worry Jeremy can sort it for you. Mind you, if it's the sensor it's a bit of a faff to get access to it, and I wouldn't recommend running without it because it may be critical in Maintenance charging. If you haven't got an eVlite just disconnect the sensor anyway and try it. Hope that helps.

willfromsussex

Re: Just got a 2003 Berlingo Electrique (with problems!)

Postby willfromsussex » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:50 pm

Thankyou. Seems to be working at the moment but I shall certainly try that if it messes up again. I don't have an EVlite, I had a feeling the chap wasn't still making them.

Despite its problems.. I love having an EV.. way more than I thought I would!

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:37 am

If you can make it as far as Sidcup, there is a monthly BVS social meet next Tuesday at 7.30pm

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3659
Tim Crumpton

willfromsussex

Postby willfromsussex » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:55 pm

My other one of these just failed to procede, (yes I have two now) and the evlite (yes i have one of those now) said 61 degrees or something ,so i disconnected the sender unit , which was an injector style plug not a twist plug, and it now drives. So what's involved in changing this part and can I order it from Citroen still? Is there a thread on hear about this sensor? Car is a 2001. THanks.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”